UV vs Conventional Printing

If you dont disclose customers, how about some data sheets and samples to back up your claims. We are a commercial printer that prints with both UV and conventional inks every day. I have a hard time seeing it possible to print 320% coverage on an uncoated sheet and high stack, then work and turn the load. If we could, PLEASE TEACH ME.....

I sell styrene's, pvc's, and other plastics for a living. There are some people printing on plastics using conventional offset and printing very successfully. That being said, printing plastics conventionally requires more care and offers a smaller window for error than printing plastics using uv offset. When printing plastics conventionally I always recommend using fresh fountain solution, using a high solids ink that is designed for plastics, running small lifts, making sure the dyne levels on the plastics are within acceptable ranges, applying static string ( not tinsel ) and or ionized air bars to the press. I have customers printing large volumes of lenticular via conventional offset, that's about as hard and precise as it gets.

Also, I sell gloss surface two sided rigid pvc which people use to print danglers conventionally all the time. You can print gloss plastics conventionally, the biggest issue usually is the static created and keeping the product feeding through the press well.

I've seen a Mimaki operator printing on Styrene and other pvcs and he was using the Static Elastic, a flexible version of the Static String, on both sides of the substrate.

For rigid substrates, this placement on both sides of the substrate is essential.

It's that Habitat line of product. I know of a few shops in California that tried it and did not work very well. They opted to keep their UV presses.

I would like to chime in here, after reading these posts. I am very familiar with the product line that is being discussed, and I know who is using it. I also know that it does exactly what Print Pro says, without fault. "A Better Way" however, should not make comments like the one he made ever again, he must not understand the full scope, and most of you are putting a very bright spotlight on that fact.
The issue here, is that it DOES NOT replace UV, especially for packaging, if for no other reason than you cannot UV coat inline. Other than that, adhesion is often better and so is scuff resistance, and finally, it dries completely, unlike uv inks. So for conventional printing, in cases where uv inks are generally used for "hard to dry" issues (C1S backsides, foil, ect..), it does offer an absolute replacement for those printers situations.
The list of other reasons to use this line over UV is long, and without a doubt better for most applications. UV purists may want to be more worried about the coming LED technology that is already being used in Japan though.
Finally, to Reyes - is it possible that your statement is a little off?. I have seen the "list" of printers that have been offered this system, there are only three. Print Pro is one of them, and the others will tell you exactly what he said, it is the best system they have ever tried. You are with Dandrea, I have been informed that you tested a universal product designed for printers that want to stay with the types of inks and chemistry they currently use, you did not test the system being discussed. I would ask that you clarify your statement and be fair to the people that created this system, or give us the list of printers you know that tried it and "chose to stay with what they had" - that list does not exist, or those people you know are lying to you, either way, it should not be perpetuated on this forum.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back