Variable data

Macmann

What is the best way to get my feet wet doing variable date bar codes to an Indigo 5000? InDesign? HP Smartstream? Esko? Any ideas would be appreciated-we're new to this procedure. Thanks

What kind of barcode (USPS Intelligent Mail Barcode, Code 128, UPC, Interleaving 2 of 5, Code 39, etc.) What's the purpose of the barcode? In most cases, you will need the underlying symbiology before you can print a barcode. For instance, for a IMB (Intelligent Mail Barcode), the symbiology will be a series of "F"'s, "A", "D"'s and "T", s. It'll look something like this: "FFFFFAAADTTDAAAFFFTTTTDDDAA.....'

Thanks for the response MailGuru. The barcodes will be used to identifiy the part. The "part" in this case being a printed graphic. Nothing as complicated as the variable data needed for mailing. More for the customer to sort through decals and appliques with subtle variations. Their process requires them to quickly identify a decal with a barcode reader. My question is more about which software we should use to accomplish this.

It depends on how many different barcodes you need to generate, and, how fast you have to generate them ("on-the-fly" for each record, or a "static" barcode that gets assigned once and will never change). In our case, we have to be able to generate a different barcode for each record in the file on-the-fly, so, we use InDesign with XMPie as the variable barcode generator. If you are just generating a static barcode to identify a specific part or sku for a merchandise item, there are several free places online where you can enter a part or sku number, specify which barcode you want to be generated, and, it will generate a download-able PDF or TIFF of the barcode. Then you just use that "barcode art" whenever you need it.

I have an excel file with about 30,000 barcodes. There needs to be a variable text field above the barcode with the part number as well. I am leaning towards InDesign because I am familiar with it. In your opinion would the Data Merge feature in InDesign be sufficient or do I need a plug-in like XMPie? Not looking to spend alot as this is not a large slice of our business.

You can use Data Merge in InDesign, but it'll give you a 30,000-page InDesign document (or fewer if you impose it). To keep it manageable you could break your data up into multiple lists. If you already have InDesign, I would go this route first and see if it is sufficient.

XMPie is probably too expensive if this is all you need it for. Although SmartStream is cheaper than XMPie, it's still a little pricey. FusionPro is cheaper and will work with any PDF. I'm sure there are other options available, too.

Last edited:
As an Indigo owner we have access to HP SmartStream at no cost. Barcodes will be printed 45 up on a sheet.

OK, so then it's a matter of generating the barcode. If you're trying to just use a barcode font, then your data needs to be formatted correctly for whatever barcode type it is (it's usually not quite as easy as just plugging in the numbers - there is usually some sort of formula applied to the input numbers to make then conform to the barcode specs). I don't think SS has a lot of options for creating barcodes natively. We use Data Matrix and QR codes (both are 2D barcodes) quite extensively.

You may need to get a 3rd-party barcode program to generate the barcodes as individual graphics, then use SmartStream to pull them in variably. One program works hand-in-hand with SmartStream - Barcode Studio (http://www.tec-it.com/en/software/barcode-software/barcode-creator/barcode-studio/Default.aspx). You can set the desired barcode parameters, and then SmartStream will use Barcode Studio to generate the barcodes on the fly. If you use another program, like BarCode Pro, you need to generate the barcodes ahead of time.

You can use Data Merge in InDesign, but it'll give you a 30,000-page InDesign document (or fewer if you impose it). To keep it manageable you could break your data up into multiple lists. If you already have InDesign, I would go this route first and see if it is sufficient.

XMPie is probably too expensive if this is all you need it for. Although SmartStream is cheaper than XMPie, it's still a little pricey. FusionPro is cheaper and will work with any PDF. I'm sure there are other options available, too.

Where I worked we used XMPie, but also broke it down to multiple lists to print to the BizHub, a few thousand at a time. The Data Merge with InDesign is ok for smaller lists, but I have been burned with large lists with InDesign's data merge.

-Sev

Thanks Sev. If we did go with Data Merge I would likely break it into lists of 1000. Seems like all the cool kids use XMPie. This variable data stuff sure is daunting. Thanks for the advice.

Of course, you need to test and work backwards from the end use to ensure that the print method, barcode size etc. are readable before you implement a solution.

Perhaps one of the simplest methods is to use a “3 of 9” barcode font, which is supported by many hardware/software devices. This way the variable barcode can be created by a simple variable text merge.

There is a requirement that there is an asterix symbol either side of the character string, such as *mybarcode1234* (easy enough to add using regex or a spreadsheet or textmechanic etc)

http://www.idautomation.com/free-barcode-products/code39-font/

You would need a commercial version of the font though:

http://www.idautomation.com/barcode-fonts/code-39/

http://www.makebarcode.com/specs/code_39.html

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back