Variables in Apogee Prepress & Preps

lanctk

I have a template that we use to impose 10 diferent, 2pg jobs on 3 signatures. 2 signatures of 4 jobs and 1 signature of 2 jobs, 2 up. We want to be able to identify the 4 documents numbers per signature, automatically using a border in Apogee Prepress. Is there a Variable that will print the 4 document names in each signature? I tried using $DOCUMENT, $DOCUMENTBASENAME, $DOCUMENTFILENAME. Each time I got the Signature number as the doc. file name. After a further investigation I found out that those variables are only for single page flows. We use Preps as our imposition software. I thought perhaps I could use a variable in Preps but I can not seem to find the list of variables for Preps (our manual has disappeared). So does anyone know of a Variable that will grab the PDF document names in either the Preps template or in a Apogee Prepress border?
Thanks.

pulling from a rusty memory

pulling from a rusty memory

There is a list of available variables under the help menu in ApogeeX starting at version 4 I believe. You could try $PAGE or $PAGENAME $DOCNAME.

Hi lanctk,

unfortunately, Apogee (running Prepress 6) isn't able to place identification textmarks per side of your template with bordersets.
Even the workaround with an actionlist in the flow that marks the input PDF with its own filename isn't possible, because the Hotfolder renames the PDFs with internal codes and the actionlist is applied AFTER that cruel event of numberizing. :/

I also tried to get the $DOCUMENTFILENAME working for some ganging jobs to identify the individual jobs from each other. Without luck... seems that it doesn't work without JDF information.
Placing the variables in the Preps-Template doesn't help either. You get the text you entered, nothing more.

AFAIK: If you own the JDF extension, it would be possible (been told by an Agfa-Supporter). But I'm not sure.

Robert

The only way I can see to do this is to use sluglines in your output device flow. The document names would have to be manually placed in the sluglines when built but it would put them in semi-automatically if you build a job template with the border calling the correct slugline(s). Since the page information is lost when ripping if you don't have DQS I would say you have to use either the $SLUGLINE(1-2-3-4) or $DESCRIPTION variable for each job.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back