VDP Marketing Ideas?

Variable maps???

Variable maps???

Some body know how to do the variable address in the map?

I would love to find how I can also do something like this for my clients or even myself when doing a mailing. Currently we dont do a ton of VDP and any we do is pretty basic for mail merges or personalizing documents to the receiver. I am using excel and publisher/word and hope to step up in time to a more appropriate program but as money is tight and for a service we dont currently do much of I cant justify spending a lot of money. I do have CS4 but I havent learned how to do VDP work within InDesign yet but am looking to start trying soon. Anyone know where to find step by step instructions on how to do some more advanced or even intermediate VDP projects? I do really like the idea of the customizable map.

indesign vdp

indesign vdp

Try indesignsecrets.com, it's full of stuf. If u can spend $500, get fusion pro!!!

For the maps, there is a service that was presented on DRUPA. They charge about 1 USD per address, I can't remember the actual name, but I am sure Google would find it :). You send them csv file with streets, they include pictures in it. Then you use them as normal variable image data.

Value of VDP #1: Relevance.
It might be difficult for some of your customers to imagine personalized campaigns for themselves and their products if they don't currently use it. (unless you cater to large companies and your customer/orderer is a direct marketing expert). Allowing them to see ideas of what is being done by others in the same industry (travel, banking, real estate, etc) is the best way to get some ideas flowing in their minds. Aim at segmenting your database per industry type, and give it a try. In order to convince on the value, putting your hands on a few case studies and stats that are industry specific can also be shared with them. The map idea is also good, but watch out for birdseye view (radius) distance versus road distance to your store, especially if you are in an area with rivers, or any natural obstacles of such.

Value of VDP #2: Accuracy.
Before you get started, make sure your data is clean. There is no such irritation for some of your customers as to receive something like : Mr. Jane Doe or MISS JANE DOÉ, etc... The extra time you spend on making your data clean, the higher the results.

Value of VDP #3: It's a relationship.
Since you are communicating one-to-one, address your customers and your prospects differently. it's like a relationship, depending on your level of intimacy, you might address someone differently. Invite them to engage with you and use a one on one tone to your content. Also plan ahead what concrete action the customer should take, and insure it is out loud and clear on your piece. If you really want to get into it, I would also suggest planning step 2 ahead of time... what happens after your first mailing. A call, another mailing etc. Building a logical sequence can most definitely impact results also.

Hope this is helpful.
Julie

The problem with demonstrating the Variable Data/Variable Image concept (a/k/a "1:1") is that, when it's done properly, it is so slick and seamless, that many customers are not aware of what is happening. They only know that this piece was relevant and had a personal one on one tone with a much better response rate. Keep in mind that "variable data/variable image" is a "Data Base" concentric technique. You need to be able to show that, as the data changes, the picture and verbiage of your mail piece changes. We did this by printing a poster that shows the data base (like an excel format). Then we printed the mail pieces (in this case, a simple 6 x 9 post card 4/4 on 10-pt C2S). Our demo app was a mailing for a fictional hotel/resort. The data base has column for "interest". For different records throughout the data base, the field would be populated with items such as "golf", "tennis", "fine dining", "horseback riding", etc.) Each item would coincide with a picture and verbiage enticing the recipient to visit the resort built around their interest. When making a presentation, we would point to the data base poster, and then to the mail piece. Soon, the light-bulb comes on in the prospect's head of how this works and how powerful it is.

Hi Drum,

From the point of my view, you can try the follwing 5 industry application:
1) Card, Coupon, Label
2) ID Card production
3) Hangtag production
4) Anticounterfeiting Label or security printiing
5) Statement and billing printing

Strong recommendaton: 2) 3) 4) , you can earn money from these area.

Good luck.

One more comment. Although the VDP and persionalized image or personalized publishing have nearly the same concept or technology, but strictly to say, they are totally defferent business nd application.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back