VDP Marketing Ideas?

Drum

We are slowly moving into VDP and we would like to use it in some of our marketing to show customers and prospects the value, and also to develop our skills in this area.
I hate to reinvent the wheel if I can pick up a good marketing idea from some of you that have already plowed this ground.
Thanks.

One of the best ideas I've heard of is a business sending out postcards - on the back of which was a map giving directions of the shortest route from the addressee's house to the store!

As a gimmick we sent out Mugs with our individual customers names on them ie Steves's Mug, Karen's Mug printed on them. Obviously we didn't do them on the press but they are always on their desks as reminders.

AjR

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the ideas

I like both ideas but the map suggestion is probably more appropriate for us.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I can imagine your DTP operators/programmers cringe when you mention the map thing! I've got no idea how I'd do that - would need to employ some sort of GPS application or whatever. But, if you can crack it, it'll be truly impressive!

VDP marketing

VDP marketing

I like the map and postcard idea. Quick Printing magazine did the same thing with their cover using a KM6500 with Creo for a trade show in Chicago. I am currently working on a direct mail campaign for myself and have been undecided on the content- maybe I'll do the map thing. Currently, I use VDP on my notepads. Whenever I advertise my logo and slogan look something like this:

Celestial Print & Design
Digital Printing
Wide Format Printing
Variable Data Printing

On my note pads, I change out the last line to DEMONSTRATE vdp instead of SAYING it. We came up with 200 words to replace "variable data" so we end up with a set of 4 notepads of 50 pages each that are not the same. Example:

Digital Printing
Wide Format Printing
Fat-free Printing

Digital Printing
Wide Format Printing
Spring Fresh Printing

Etc. Etc.

I have done the same thing with my business cards.

Keith

variable text (names, addresses, etc) is so easy.

if you want to impress, show some intelligent VDP applications that includes Personalized Images.

take a look at this demo from Direct Smile :
DirectSmile

can you do that? can you sell that? will it grab your customer's attention?

DirectSmile

DirectSmile

I followed the link and that was cool! I'm guessing that DirectSmile is one of those million dollar programs? I currently use FusionPro Desktop (it was on sale) and when I'm ready for the next level, I'll certainly look into that.

Yeah, I do admit that names and addresses are easy and it doesn't impress us printers. But it does impress other people.

I have no idea how much Direct Smile cost ... but I'm sure it's not the only one that can do it.

you can also do some personalized images with CREO Darwin Pro ... which is probably about $5,000 (I think is very affordable) .. check out how the images change here :
CREO Color Servers - DARWIN Pro

DirectSmile can get expensive and they charge a "smiley" fee for each image generated. If you like this sort of thing, check out Directype. They do similar and have recently dropped their price to $399 euros with 150 free motifs for download. Great pricing and no per image charges.

Generating 5,000 personalized hi-res images and getting them integrated with your VDP program can be a bit tricky with some huge file sizes.

What does Directsmile or Direct type actually do for you? For example, Darwin includes image manipulation, but it can supposedly integrate with either one of these programs; however, I am not sure what you get from doing that. Does anyone know?

Direct Smile & VDP

Direct Smile & VDP

Hi guys,

I recently purchased Direct Smile and would love to run some jobs for you. I can create a PDF and you can print it on your machines. If you're interested in trying it out before buying it, this is a great opportunity for you. Feel free to call me at 303-799-3916, Jace.

Thanks Joe I will take a look in more detail on their site. Do you have their program? If so, do you know how it compares to Direct Smile?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back