Vector Trap module issue

MrDHG

We don't have any tech support for this so hoping you guys can help. We have been using 4-stage trapping forever without any issue or problem from the customer. Recently though the company that we do this work for reorganized and now we are dealing with different people for the same exact work. The new people we are dealing with do not like the way that the files are trapped. The traps aren't "wrong" they just don't like the way they look when you zoom in on them at 2000% (ugh, see attached image). So, I have been playing around with the settings within the trap module. My choices are 4-stage, Packaging, or Commercial. I have tried all sorts of different settings within each choice. Not having much luck. The original files are all created in Illustrator (usually CS5, but sometimes 6). 4-stage will put a Trap layer in the Artpro file which is absolutely needed, where as I cannot get the other 2 to generate a trap layer. Packaging and Commercial will put trap in the file, but seem to do it on the first unlocked layer in the illustrator file. I thought a workaround may be to put an empty unlocked layer in .ai file and rename that layer in Artpro, but the traps are inconsistent. The trap it is putting on would be acceptable, but like I said, it's inconsistent and not trapping all the areas it should be. We could trap manually, but the volume is sometimes pretty high and would be too time consuming. We are using Artpro 8.1 and running Nexus 9.0.3. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, just for my education, maybe someone could explain what exactly 4-stage trapping is vs Packaging. The manuals that were left to me don't say sh*t.

Thanks.
image002.jpg

MrDHG

What is your workflow exactly? Are you trapping in deckpack, in the workflow or in Artpro? Look for an option to always trap toward image (see attached). This would at least get you consistent traps. May not always be the direction you wanted but they will not go in and out.auto-trap.jpg

There is a reason this type of trapping wasn't developed anymore and AP switched to Powertrapper (Esko).
Contact your Esko sales rep and give AP12 a try, I think you, and your customer, would love the new Powertrapper.

wkr
Simon Ivarsson
(working for esko)

There is a reason this type of trapping wasn't developed anymore and AP switched to Powertrapper (Esko).
Contact your Esko sales rep and give AP12 a try, I think you, and your customer, would love the new Powertrapper.

wkr
Simon Ivarsson
(working for esko)

Simon- I would be interested in learning more about that and v10 for Nexus, but please note that I have made more than a few attempts over the past several months to Esko to inquire about an upgrade in our RIP software and not one time has Esko responded to ANY of my emails or phone calls. Extremely disappointed that Esko would not find the time to reply to a past and now potentially future customer. We are strongly considering taking our companies business elsewhere and are currently considering other options due to Esko flippant nature and lack of response.

MrDHG
Dont worry I know how you feel. We have all the latest from Esko (Artpro 12, AE12 etc.) and have a very expensive maintenance contract and often feel the same way about Esko. Ask any esko customer how the plugins for CS6 are going, (We are still waiting for them almost a year later!!!!). Bottom line is we always have a list of bugs or issues, so AP12 will not magically eliminate all your problems.

Simon
As an Esko employee I would hope you had something more to offer than a sales pitch for new software. How about actually trying to help with the problem.

Wi-Flexo
You are also welcome to contact me.
I would love to help you with any problem you might have.
Plugins for CS 6 is a compleatly different story.
And I hope you both understand that.
Send me an e-mail and I will provide you with what ever plugins you might need.

Simon,
I do appreciate the concern! All of our issues are documented and we are still waiting for 3 hotfixes right now. And that does not include the CS6 plugin issue that no one at Esko wants to talk about. I just want to give people a fair impression of the software and not lead them to believe that upgrading will solve all their problems.

Thanks again for offering to help though!

I will check that for you.
Send me an e-mail with your log numbers and I will personally have a look at this.

I agree with you. Upgrading and buying new software is not always the solution. But in this case it really is.
4-stage trapping is quite bad compared to the new power trapper.
And I really would like him to try it.

Ill be honest, we use both power trapper (AE & Deskpack & Artpro) as well as the PDF trapper (Nexus) which I believe is the same as the 4-step trapper. I do like the control of the power trapper. The ability to create custom rules is something that nexus was always missing and kind of screwed you on some files. But when working with illustrator files using Powertrapper we run in to quite a few problems. It seems that power trapper doesn't always understand some of the effects and appearances that illustrator can use. We still end up sending a lot of PDFs from illustrator to Nexus for trapping.

Ill be honest, we use both power trapper (AE & Deskpack & Artpro) as well as the PDF trapper (Nexus) which I believe is the same as the 4-step trapper. I do like the control of the power trapper. The ability to create custom rules is something that nexus was always missing and kind of screwed you on some files. But when working with illustrator files using Powertrapper we run in to quite a few problems. It seems that power trapper doesn't always understand some of the effects and appearances that illustrator can use. We still end up sending a lot of PDFs from illustrator to Nexus for trapping.

Thanks. So you are saving your .ai files as PDF and then dropping into Nexus if Powertrapper isn't achieving the results you need? We normally just drop the ai file into the workflow.

we work with Normalized PDF out of illustrator because we are using dynamic barcodes and other esko plug-ins. Normalized PDF stores all the metadata that we need to keep.

MrDHG
Simon
As an Esko employee I would hope you had something more to offer than a sales pitch for new software. How about actually trying to help with the problem.

Isn't that typical, only interested when there is a prospect of selling you more software modules or training days!

MrDHG
Dont worry I know how you feel. We have all the latest from Esko (Artpro 12, AE12 etc.) and have a very expensive maintenance contract and often feel the same way about Esko. Ask any esko customer how the plugins for CS6 are going, (We are still waiting for them almost a year later!!!!). Bottom line is we always have a list of bugs or issues, so AP12 will not magically eliminate all your problems.

Simon

Dear WI-Flexo
I have been in contact with MrDHG to help him with his problem.
If the solution to his problem would be to upgrade his software, shouldn't I help him to do so?
I don't work in US and I'm not Customer Support, so there is nothing in it for me. But I do enjoy helping out with any type of problem people might have with Esko Software.
I have worked with Esko software since barco day, so i think I have some knowledge that might me helpful for others.

please let me know if there is something I can help you with.

Wkr
Simon Ivarsson

we work with Normalized PDF out of illustrator because we are using dynamic barcodes and other esko plug-ins. Normalized PDF stores all the metadata that we need to keep.

Not familiar with Normalized PDF. Are you saving those out of ai?

Normalized Pdf is an Esko file format used by Automation Engine, Packedge, DeskPack etc..
In short it's a pdf that allows external links suited. Normalized Pdf can be exported from Illustrator, ArtPro etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back