Versant 80 using freeflow. How do i print on 300+ gsm paper stock???

Eagl-s

Hi All.
This maybe a daft question to those who know, but i'm new to the free flow rip and i'm chasing my tail.

My Versant U.I. lists paper stock up to 350gsm. The flee flow rip will only allow me to in put up to 300gsm. Am I missing something?

Can anyone run me through how to print on heavyweight paper on a versant 80 with free flow. (step by step might help)(y) o_O

Thanks in advance

Which tray are you trying to print from? I don't run Xerox, but typically those heavier weights are only supported when printing from a bypass tray or add-on high-capacity trays. The main trays typically won't support weights that heavy because the paper has to make a fairly tight 180-degree flip coming out of the tray, and 350gsm stock is pretty rigid.

Which tray are you trying to print from? I don't run Xerox, but typically those heavier weights are only supported when printing from a bypass tray or add-on high-capacity trays. The main trays typically won't support weights that heavy because the paper has to make a fairly tight 180-degree flip coming out of the tray, and 350gsm stock is pretty rigid.
Hi. Thanks for getting back.
Yes i'm using the by-pass tray and manual duplex, but the max weight I can tell the rip I'm using is 300gsm when the printer will allow 350gsm. There must be something I'm doing wrong?

Hi. Thanks for getting back.
Yes i'm using the by-pass tray and manual duplex, but the max weight I can tell the rip I'm using is 300gsm when the printer will allow 350gsm. There must be something I'm doing wrong?
See this link (Versant 80 extended brochure), page 16. Looks like it only supports up to 300gsm from the bypass tray, and in order to use 350gsm, you'd have to have the optional paper feed trays. That said, you can always just load the 350 gsm, set it for 300 and see what it does. If it prints OK and your toner is adhering OK, then you're probably safe to run it. Not all 350gsm papers are the same. I run 450gsm Nekoosa Synaps XM (synthetic cover stock) through my Konica, and it's only rated for 350gsm. I have no issues, runs/prints beautifully. That said, I'm also not running thousands at a time.

Flexibility/Weights Coated, uncoated, tabs, envelopes, polyester/ synthetic, textured, colored, custom media and mixed-stock printing
• 52–350 gsm uncoated and coated
• 64–256 gsm from Trays 1–3
• 52–300 gsm from By-Pass
• 64–220 gsm from optional HCF
• 52–300 gsm from optional OHCF
• 52–350 gsm from optional Advanced OHCF

^^^ This.

Very similar to the KM 3080/4080 specs. In practice the manual bypass tray on most machines will take heavier weights than specced, in small doses however if you're doing it regularly, it's time to relook at your machine/configuration. Also bear in mind the manual bypass tray will be the least accurate for registration out of all the input options.

^^^ This.

Very similar to the KM 3080/4080 specs. In practice the manual bypass tray on most machines will take heavier weights than specced, in small doses however if you're doing it regularly, it's time to relook at your machine/configuration. Also bear in mind the manual bypass tray will be the least accurate for registration out of all the input options.
Completely agree with you. As someone who frequently had to run out of a bypass tray in the past, I would hope their job is not one that requires exacting registration.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I'll have a play around with the settings and see if it will run the 350gsm at 300gsm settings :D

Do you have just a bypass tray, hcf, OHCF or Adv OHCF ?

We have V80(performance) with External Fiery. Advanced OHCF and just checking settings there and both on the Machine UI and Fiery I can select 350gsm from Trays 5 (bypass) and 6 & 7 in the Adv OHCF.

Now when we were purchasing this I originally was getting the standard OHCF, which I was told was identical to the Adv OHCF but with a storage space instead of tray 6. Luckily I had a look through the spec sheet and noticed this is only limited to 300gsm across all trays. I told the Xerox sales rep and he wasn't even aware of it, had to look into it himself to confirm. I still can't understand what could be so different that one is rated to 350gsm and the other is only 300gsm, especially since I can run 350gsm from all three trays.

Do you have to select a paper weight in the FreeFlow?, in our Fiery I just leave it always set to machine settings.

Last edited:
Do you have just a bypass tray, hcf, OHCF or Adv OHCF ?

We have V80(performance) with External Fiery. Advanced OHCF and just checking settings there and both on the Machine UI and Fiery I can select 350gsm from Trays 5 (bypass) and 6 & 7 in the Adv OHCF.

Now when we were purchasing this I originally was getting the standard OHCF, which I was told was identical to the Adv OHCF but with a storage space instead of tray 6. Luckily I had a look through the spec sheet and noticed this is only limited to 300gsm across all trays. I told the Xerox sales rep and he wasn't even aware of it, had to look into it himself to confirm. I still can't understand what could be so different that one is rated to 350gsm and the other is only 300gsm, especially since I can run 350gsm from all three trays.

Do you have to select a paper weight in the FreeFlow?, in our Fiery I just leave it always set to machine settings.
We only have the standard trays built into the main printer body plus the by-pass tray, no high capacity drawers.

We can run the use ready function for the weight etc.
I ran a 350 gsm sheet through at the 300gsm settings and it went through OK.
When I last tried it the heavier paper was jamming so I'm not sure what that was about, just as it was going in to the fuser. I'm not sure what that was about? From what I understand there should be no reason why it wouldn't run through. I don't think the fuser adjusts to accommodate the different weight paper?

Thanks for your response

When I last tried it the heavier paper was jamming so I'm not sure what that was about, just as it was going in to the fuser. I'm not sure what that was about? From what I understand there should be no reason why it wouldn't run through. I don't think the fuser adjusts to accommodate the different weight paper?
The jamming will most likely originate from the 180 degree turn in the path from the trays under the engine, as @crajos indicated in post #2 I've seen exactly this too many times on various machines. Anyway, when you get much above 250GSM, the board is sufficiently thick that you don't want to be turning it in such a tight turning circle, as the substrate can buckle (even if it does pass the fuser).

The fuser life will be reduced if you do this too often and if your tech gets wind of it, you'll likely invalidate your support agreement, as CPCs are calculated based upon the vendor replacing parts with the machine being used within the parameters of the CED.

We only have the standard trays built into the main printer body plus the by-pass tray, no high capacity drawers.

We can run the use ready function for the weight etc.
I ran a 350 gsm sheet through at the 300gsm settings and it went through OK.

Thanks for your response
Is it the same type and size of paper as previous? Some cover stocks are more rigid than others. If you're running a stock that is less flexible, you might encounter more jamming issues. This would be amplified at a smaller size (8.5x11 vs 12x18...etc.). There are variables in play here of course. Grain plays a part in this as well, but most cover stocks are grain short and should 'flex' with the rollers in the press - and feed direction definitely should be accounted for if you're using stock that's been cut down, or smaller...heavier stock in general.

The jamming will most likely originate from the 180 degree turn in the path from the trays under the engine, as @crajos indicated in post #2 I've seen exactly this too many times on various machines. Anyway, when you get much above 250GSM, the board is sufficiently thick that you don't want to be turning it in such a tight turning circle, as the substrate can buckle (even if it does pass the fuser).

The fuser life will be reduced if you do this too often and if your tech gets wind of it, you'll likely invalidate your support agreement, as CPCs are calculated based upon the vendor replacing parts with the machine being used within the parameters of the CED.
He did mention he is feeding out of the bypass tray, so it should be a straight shoot into the ADU. Regarding the support agreement, it totally depends on who you're working with. If I'm blowing through fuser rollers, then yeah - there is going to be a conversation. On the flip side, I would also expect my equipment vendor to help me figure out a solution to a technical issue that I'm running into.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back