Versant Press Drum/Toner/Parts Shortages

Hello!

So I run a Versant 180 with high cap, trimmer buffer, and square fold trimmer.

So for the past half a year, the color drums have been pretty trash. They'll last about 5-7% and then you'll get an arc on the drum, ruining the charge roller and causing a colored line along the process. Absolutely no way to save it so I just have to swap it out for a new one.

Wanted to know if this has been happening to you guys, and what you have been doing to alleviate the issues. The biggest issue for me is the drums. Its like a ticking time bomb. Sometimes I'll pop in a new one and it'll run for about 2-3% and I'll get the arc on the drum.

I'm based in New York and serviced by CARR Xerox, and it seems like they are bone dry with everything from drums, toner, 2nd btrs, ibt belts etc.

Before the drums ran out, the drums that were coming to me were made in Japan. But it seems like it was just assembled there because the drums last the same amount of life.

I remember a few years ago when you'd be able to use the drums for full life, and then for another 10% or so. The manufacturing quality really has taken a plunge. I can't imagine what the guys without service contracts are going through.

Drums have absolutely plummeted in quality. I also run a 180 and until the beginning of this year I'd run drums way past their expected life and only replace when you had poor print quality. Nowadays a drum lasts 10% of what it used to before we have issues. However, the issues we're having aren't lines - but spots. The photoreceptor part of the drum decides to just randomly die resulting in repeated small dots of toner in whatever color drum it was. We've also had to start replacing them all the time because of this.

Additionally, getting drums has been equally frustrating. We ran out several times because drum orders were in backorder for 4-5 weeks. I started a new system - I place a metered supplies order every Monday now, regardless of it my supplies are low. I used to JIT my supplies to save inventory space, but after losing the ability to run color I decided I'd rather have the extra drums.

I don't know what to tell you except read your maintenance agreement contract. I threatened to invoke language in mine that stated that every day they don't fix an issue I can deduct $200 off my lease bill. Since they won't give me parts, it'll count. Got some drums released real quick after that.

Same problems with the drums. It’s a problem and frustration to have to watch every sheet of paper because once the drum fails every sheet off the press is after is bad and can't be sold. Four drums that can fail at any time means four times the pressure. Not to mention hours of wasted time and supplies and the problem isn’t getting better.

How are businesses supposed to operate this way, where is the class action lawsuit happening? It’s been months and months and I’m tired.

Drums are extremely frustrating right now. I have an order from Nov 21st and another from last week that still show “in progress”. We just put our last one in the other day. K drum is on 10% so I’m playing with fire. More like playing with an atomic bomb.

Our drums don’t last anytime anymore. One we of heavy running I think I went through 6 drums in a week. It was ridiculous. Our 1000i never had drum problems and I don’t remember having problems with them when we got the 3100 when it came out.

Like others we get the single thin line on our drum that will go along the whole sheet. So annoying as it’s a small defect but can’t be remedied other than a new drum. So annoying.

Drums are extremely frustrating right now. I have an order from Nov 21st and another from last week that still show “in progress”. We just put our last one in the other day. K drum is on 10% so I’m playing with fire. More like playing with an atomic bomb.

Our drums don’t last anytime anymore. One we of heavy running I think I went through 6 drums in a week. It was ridiculous. Our 1000i never had drum problems and I don’t remember having problems with them when we got the 3100 when it came out.

Like others we get the single thin line on our drum that will go along the whole sheet. So annoying as it’s a small defect but can’t be remedied other than a new drum. So annoying.
That feeling is horrible isn't it? I used to be able to run and run and run the machine with no worries. Drums lasted beyond 100%. Now its exactly like you said, a ticking time bomb. Don't know when the drums will go to shit. That constant worry really sucks.

I hear that the Iridesse has none of these problems. Idk why Xerox doesnt just have the manufacturer for the Iridesse make the drums for the Versant series.

No wonder Ursula Burns stepped down from Xerox. New CEO doesn't have a clue what hes doing. But best of luck to you! I'm sure we'll all get through this slump.

Thank you all for your feedback. Seems like I'm not alone in this.

A trick I have tried that can possibly make the drums last a bit longer:

As SOON as you see a dot come up, take the drum out and look for where the imperfection is on the drum itself. You can gently rub off or pick off the embedded toner/defect with a cloth or your fingernail but dont go too hard on it cause you can damage the drum. The imperfection will line up with wherever you see a small white line on the black primary charge roller. I found it easier to run my fingers along the drum to feel for it because it can be very hard to see. And don't have it out for too long as drums degrade in light exposure.

Put the drum back in and run "clean toner" two or three times in maintenance mode. I've done this a few times and have been able to squeeze a few more % out of some drums.

Also, you can ask your salesperson to take the drums out of your local showroom machine. Usually those drums are pre-pandemic because they barely use it in the showrooms and most likely they weren't running the machines in all of 2020.

Best of luck to you all!

Had a tech in this morning and asked him what he knew about the drum issue and this was his version as it stands -

Drum issue came about from an EU directive in relation to a certain chemical used within the drum which they were no longer allowed use as they previously had. This resulted in a change to how the drums were made and hence the sh£t storm we're all experiencing.

He claims the new and "working" drums have finally been manufactured in China ready for distribution and the delay is now related to Global logistics problems. Apparently they will be in Ireland by February.

He tried explaining the exact issue and what is happening within the drums but let's just say it sounded like this to me lnsdljkljsna;ln;anjgnw;en;gl wajb;lsng;;n;nsgkjn s;lknsdalnga;ln

Metro NY Xerox/Carr customer here too. Exact same experiences as the rest of you with bad drums and no supply. Went without for almost 4 weeks, during which I couldn't print anything that didn't have spots. I eventually leaned on my salesperson for help getting drums. He was able to get a shipment going where the supplies hotline had no info on when they would be able to ship. It probably helped that we have an Iridesse on order. Looking forward to that installation. The techs have said those drums last a million sometimes.

Metro NY Xerox/Carr customer here too. Exact same experiences as the rest of you with bad drums and no supply. Went without for almost 4 weeks, during which I couldn't print anything that didn't have spots. I eventually leaned on my salesperson for help getting drums. He was able to get a shipment going where the supplies hotline had no info on when they would be able to ship. It probably helped that we have an Iridesse on order. Looking forward to that installation. The techs have said those drums last a million sometimes.
Out of supplies for 4 weeks!? So did you just not operate for 4 weeks? Or did you just keep on printing anyways with image quality issues? CARR is overall pretty good and I don't really have any complaints against them but the supplies issue has really been infuriating. A machine under service contract that goes down for 4 weeks is just unacceptable. I could feel Xerox quality going down when they started outsourcing calls for supplies etc to other countries. Phone orders for supplies used to be serviced by their Commack branch, and it was really great as I got to know all of their phone reps over the years. But they fired them all pre-pandemic without batting an eye

Just got 6 drums in! Whew, I was playing with fire for a while. Although if any of you hooligans have any wise ideas of breaking in and stealing the drums just know they're under lock and key and survellience :LOL:

I outsourced what I had to and printed what I could. I have 2 Versants, so we were consolidating drums into one machine. When that ran it's course, I was scrambling for drums. I am really a Xerox customer, more than Carr. Xerox has been very good for me over the years, but occasionally they slip with parts/supplies shipments.

Just got 6 drums in! Whew, I was playing with fire for a while. Although if any of you hooligans have any wise ideas of breaking in and stealing the drums just know they're under lock and key and survellience :LOL:
:LOL:lucky you! those drums are like gold right now

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back