Virtualizing prepress department, and monitor recommendation

jack,

Well, I think it worked out for me very well. I was able to do the transition while the physical boxes still work. So now I just use the VMs and don't even run the physical machines anymore. It has gotten noticeably much more quiet in the room.

Basically one old Mac Pro G4 Dual 500 MHz died, and I now have a new Mac Pro 8-core running 4 VMs on top of Mac's Leopard OS. I got to retire all Windows workstations except one, so now I have an old Mac Pro G4 Dual 500 MHz, my new Mac Pro 8-core, a couple proofers, and a Windows box running the platesetter. Nice, neat, clean, and I don't need IT (never have except I would have liked them to deal with Windows machines backup, but since they never did care about it here, then I've had to deal with it myself, and now it becomes very easy with no downtime).

The one issue I am having is that the dongles I have plugged into the Mac Pro 8-core are being seen by Parallels 5 (up-to-date on Parallels updates), but after being suspended and then resumed, the dongle isn't seen. This is fine. I can live with it. It doesn't take long to associate the dongle with the VM again (just unplug it, plug it back in, and it ask where does it need associated, a running VM or Mac). It would be nice if the names Parallels kept for the USB dongles were something that made sense to me, but since they are not names I can say "that one goes with this virtual machine", it's just easier to remove and plug back in (although not efficient and can break dongle over long-term I guess).

Regards,

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back