Wanting to Start a Hobby; Restoring and Maintaining Print Presses

RBSN

I've been in he industry for only 12 years and have gained a lot of experience and skills. However, I have always been interested in engineering and print in general.

My question is; I have the ability to take a Komori Sprint 2 Colour for nothing. It runs and prints well, but hasn't been used for at least 2 years. I'd like to strip the press from top to bottom and refurb everything and put it back together - is this possible without being engineer- trained?

What issues may I find myself in?

If it were my choice I would do a frame up restoration of a 66 Z28 . . . it would be a lot easier . . .

good luck!!!!

The most difficult issue in my opinion would be Timings of the press parts, like grippers or infeed.

I think you'll figure out the engineering part as you go along. I would be concerned about four things:

1. Space to do it in.
2. Availability of parts.
3. Ability/access to equipment to refurbish parts.
4. Help when you need it.

And then you can put some chrome on it and take it to shows.

I think you'll figure out the engineering part as you go along. I would be concerned about four things:

1. Space to do it in.
2. Availability of parts.
3. Ability/access to equipment to refurbish parts.
4. Help when you need it.

And then you can put some chrome on it and take it to shows.

To that list I would add about 1000 small boxes/tins to hold all the small pieces and keep them identified

don't forget to video the teardown so you can just play it backwards when you go to reassemble it . . .

Oh and of course a fair amount of luck . . . . . :)

Do you wanna do this ;)

KOmori Tear down.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back