warp file for a conical tub with the esko warp tool in packedge

marc3llo

Hi all,

I have a problem trying to make a warp file to print in a conical tub.

I have the warped die line and roughly I worked out the flat one. (but may be is not done properly and that is also part of the problem). Now with the esko warp tool in esko I warp it (I use external and then conical shape). I get it done but is not perfect. I can still see some perfect round objects being slightly stretched. I also try the function backwarp with less success, I just get my artwork all over the place, like bended and truly distorted. As I mentioned with the function -external- conical I get a great result but not perfect.

Do you guys have some experience about it? I might be getting the flat die line in a wrong dimension? How to do the flat die line perfect, if that's my problem?
Thanks a lot
Marcelo

I used to work for a company that would handle prepress for paper cups, so we warped onto a conical shape every day. We never did find a way to warp perfectly without that distortion. We were using the warp tool to warp a rectangle piece of art between two arcs. Our solution for circles and other objects most prone to distortion was to place them on the conical shape manually after warping everything else. We did this for Coke logos, legal text running sideways along the vertical seam, etc...

Funny enough, we also had this problem with movie promo cups. I remember specifically a cup with Will Smith's head at the very top. When it was warped, it stretched it a great deal, and his head was huge. I had to use Photoshop to "squish" his head so that when warped, it would look proper.

Thanks bobbyc, I also think is the way to go. I have trying different settings but nothing comes up as perfect.
Ta
Marcelo

The only way I could think of to make it work perfectly would require changing the software, and I don't think there's enough demand for Esko to do that. If you could group objects in the file, and then assign them properties such as "Move, but don't warp", you could conceivably achieve what you're looking to do. For instance, the grouped objects (ie, Coke logo), would rotate/move when warped conically, but would not distort in any way, and stay in the same relative position with the surrounding artwork.

Yes I reckon there should be something with some slider to give different strength to different objects... so you could control how much to warp them.. sometimes you just need a little bit so it "looks" straight but slightly curved.. Anyway, I guess I warp the entire file and then warp again with a different radious to achieve a less warp object. Thanks for your feedback!

The warping tool in Deskpack is much easier and works much better then the old warp tool in PE.
Studio Toolkits for Labels - Esko

Suite 12 or Suite 10? The warping tool in Toolkit for Labels (Suite 10) required building a 3D object, which had it's limitations in regards to conical structures. The label it produced was built with a seam perpendicular to the base, which is not always the case.

In terms of actually warping the art, what advantages does Studio Toolkit offer over PackEdge? Faster? More accurate? More flexible?

Hi guys,

you can have a conical label.. not only perpendicular to the base.. I tried it as well and I got the same result as with Packedge.. a bit poor for such an expensive piece of software...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back