Water type streaks in printing jobs

tngcas

Has anyone seen this before? We have two machines in our shop and the tech is saying it’s the paper and we need to toss all our paper.

It’s happening on multiple paper types.
Only on one machine.
Only in the middle of the sheet and only on dark toner.
Nothing in the print environment has changed.
We’ve been using same brand of paper.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be the paper but I’d like a way to verify before chucking a bunch of paper.
I already tried using a different box of paper but that didn’t solve the problem.

Attachments

• 73135885101__2A0A729C-7FD5-43EC-8550-31449FEA944C.jpeg
    73135885101__2A0A729C-7FD5-43EC-8550-31449FEA944C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
Are both machines the same model? Surely if it happens on one machine and not the other that rules out the paper?
Both machines in same room/environment?
Does it matter if machine is cold/warm? i.e. if you run another job through the machine in case an condensation etc and then go straight to this job.

If it’s happening on multiple paper types it’s almost certainly not the paper.

This looks like gloss difference - check your fuser belt / pressure roll. I have seen stuff like this when either is physically broken or breaking…ie: a piece of the fuser belt shredding off. This was a popular failure for the Konica machine I got rid of.

Canon right? I see it every once in a while with my c750. Bad fuser! I have a extra fuser for envelopes on hand. When that type mark shows up it time for a rebuild, with my extra fuser I'm not down.

Canon right? I see it every once in a while with my c750. Bad fuser! I have a extra fuser for envelopes on hand. When that type mark shows up it time for a rebuild, with my extra fuser I'm not down.
Yes Canon - c810 - I’m going to see if I can get them to swap fusers before I toss any paper.

Thanks!

It's very seldom the paper.
Absolutely... even when the particular paper you're using isn't on the OEM's list of substrate whose manufacturers contribute generous adverting allowances each year to feature on the "approved list" which has been independently tested without bias and found to be far superior to anything else of similar specification from other manufacturers.

The defect you show in the photo is a long vertical streak?
Is it visible prior to printing, perhaps as a gloss difference?
If you cut the sheet down so you can feed it through rotated 90 degree, is streak still there in the same orientation (machine caused) or did it also move (paper caused)?

The defect you show in the photo is a long vertical streak?
Is it visible prior to printing, perhaps as a gloss difference?
If you cut the sheet down so you can feed it through rotated 90 degree, is streak still there in the same orientation (machine caused) or did it also move (paper caused)?
I had a customer who used to buy cut sheets from large offset printing press companies. The spray powder residue would repel ink in streaks and shapes. Took a while to figure that out

Definitely not the paper. I've had this on both the canon 710 and KM 7090.

I see it on 100lb text more often than non because it seems like the saturation of the toner is high and fuser temps are too hot. I found that on the KM there's a simple adjustment called "creasing...." (can't remember exact name) and I set that to #2. What would happen is it would ultimately lower the temp of the fuser so your prints would look matte and less glossy. I'm sure you can tweak settings to get it right but I'm okay with that look.

On the canon. They would replace the fuser and it would be good for a month. Then back to the same issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back