weird Illustator re-save problem

tobiv

Hello everyone

I've came across a really weird adobe illu (cs 5, 5,1, trial 6) re-save problem/bug and hope to find here some input, cause it drives me nuts ;)

since a few months (i guess after we installed cs 5.5 – we did this rather late, a few months back, but this is another topic) i've a really strange problem, when i save a file with file save (-s) both .ai (with pdf capabilities) oder as .pdf (Illu standard) somehow the pdf box informations (artbox, trimbox) gets lost and there's only a box with the size of all content (like .eps back in the days...). this messes up all placed .ai files in indesign... :(

you can download [1] a file to see for yourself. open it in illu cs5 and hit -s and then open this pdf in acrobat. in [2] you can see the result i get.

does anybody have a clue why this happens? when i go over save as, then it's all fine (for this time). it's really strange, because it's happens very infrequently... some files are fine.. i did delete my illu pref. i tried two macs (one 10.6 one 10.7). i dont really get a clue why this happens.

anyone?

tobias

[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2847222/testfile_box_problem.pdf
[2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2847222/testfile_box_problem_resaved.pdf

Do you have any plugins to Illustrator that may be outdated or conflicting? I would look to those first.

We once had an older version of the ESKO plugin tools that was causing all kinds of problems.

thanks for your reply :)

i've tested several systems (i even installed illu cs6 trial) and i've managed to reproduce this issue there too.. but now i've have a way to get rid of those files: close illu und then reopen it copy everything to a new file then close the old file without (important) saveing. then save the new file und a new name. now you can resave this file without this issue. yeah i't's strange.

So art board corruption Straaaaaaange. We open older files and copy/paste into a new file by default anymore.

I had an odd one while doing Pagemaker support where the file wouldn't save after opening. They'd just open it and even try a save as (ahh the old PM save as days) with no luck. I finally had them draw a box off the page and then delete it. Worked. File was fine after that.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back