What Are Pros and Cons of Discussed Artwork Application Methods on Leather?

Hello folks,

I am contemplating on artwork or logotype application methods on wallets made of PU and cow leather and buffalo leather.

There are 4 that I know of:
  1. Laser engraving
  2. Hot foil stamping
  3. Screen printing
  4. Debossing/embossing
Since leather was offered in first layer and second layer, I asked what is the difference and was told that first layer is softer and of higher quality. Because of layers mentioned I initialy assumed it was split leather that is known to have full-grain and top-grain layers but I am not sure why first layer is considered soft leather, unless it's top-grain (which by the way should be second)

Anyway I asked what layer is more suitable for laser engraving and was told that it's first layer both PU and genuine leather. Can there be potential chemical interaction between laser and PU leather? I also wonder how would end result look on second layer.

There's also hot foil stamping and screen printing but since wallet is something you carry and handle a lot how effective would be these methods? Foil would likely to come off soon and screen printing would fade eventually.

Any thoughts on that?

As with debossing and embossing is there advantage of one over the other except of course their appearance as to each their own? What do I need to keep in mind when getting artwork designed and what printed should adjust when it comes to debossed and embossed application? I have bought wallet made of genuine leather and I really liked debossed logo style: debossed-wallet-logo.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back