What brand paper do you run?

richck

Just interested to know what brand of papers people are running and what you think of them, as our main supplier has discontinued our favoured brand, which was Go! from Robert Horne (UK). We have been trying various different ones but haven't found one we are totaly happy with yet.

coated or uncoated? for coated my company uses HannoArt from Sappi. most of us in the press room tend to like it quite a bit. as for uncoated, we use Husky offset, which is from Domtar.
for cover weights on uncoated we use cougar from domtar and when getting into heavier paper stocks for book covers and such we will sometimes use kallima c1s & c2s from tembec. we've had nothing but great experiances from all of them at all weights.

We tried many sheets and ended up with Flo Gloss. It is a #3 and only has a brightness of like 87 but it out performed a lot of the #2 sheets we used including productolith. I feel it has more paper under the coating so we have less cracking when finishing. It also runs cleaner on press so we have less hickeys and have not had a lot of calcium problems we had when we were using sheets like Altima or titan.

Question just popped into my head, how many types of stock do you use regularly and how many do you special order for certain jobs? This might be different from company to company of course, my own company has I believe three different paper companies that we order from and way too many different types of stocks that we use on jobs. Customers usually order a specific type of stock for a job and thats it. Usually stock we have extra of doesn't get used and sometimes sits on our shelves for awhile before we dump it. Granted, we label ourselves as a "custom print shop" so that might be one of the reasons for our volume of different stock we use.

HannoArt

HannoArt

I f you are looking for coated paper...Hannoart is a must!

I have also tried : cheap coated paper ! From ASIA...shadow into paper, longer time to dry...at the end, more costly!

Pat

Just interested to know what brand of papers people are running and what you think of them, as our main supplier has discontinued our favoured brand, which was Go! from Robert Horne (UK). We have been trying various different ones but haven't found one we are totaly happy with yet.

Hi rich,

i hated go on my speedmaster it gave me endless linting problems, we switched to gallarie which is an awesome sheet, but expensive i think its premier who supply it, black label is ok as well. At the moment we use a.ok offset from masons which is a average uncoated sheet but a bit dusty. For coated i always requested gallarie if possible or hello in thinner ranges. I know my judgement is subjective but they always seemed the best to me.

Paul

Uncoated- Boise brand (nobody can out perform them)
Coated- Nekoosa Digital Coated (best sheets around)
Carbonless- E.Paper Brand through Guy's E.Paper

If you are in America- BUY AMERICAN (the small price savings in purchasing foreign only ends up costing you money to a hurting economy)

I'm in the US and I'm not sure if these brands cross the pond....
m-real (euroart, galerieart 30% pcw), the sappi lines (flo 10% pcw, mccoy 10% pcw) and domtar (cougar 10% pcw, lynx [new recycled version is slowly working its way into the market], husky) brands are my favored brands.

I particularly wish GalerieArt was getting better sales so that smaller volume orders were more affordable. It's super nice paper with such a high PCW content and it prints well.

I once worked for a printing company in Northern New Jersey that specialized in packaging inserts for the medical/pharmaceutical/cosmetics industries. Their favorite house stock was Finch in smooth and vellum finishes. This was from 40lb on up to 60lb depending on the job. They also used different brands of 30lb weight paper over the years, but I never had to print anything that light on the Ryobi 3200 that was my machine.

Label Stock was either Avery (expensive and required by the Customer) or Spinnaker pps 60 lb high gloss or matte finish. We used Nashua Davac dry gum paper for labels that were to be glued on, and we stayed away from the dry gum paper that had the shiny glue back because that stuff would curl extremely badly.

Our house stock was the Finch Opaque though. We used it for everything except when a customer wanted special paper.

The heavier coated stocks were Carolina CS1 and CS2 and there were some other special order brands we had that I can't remember the names.

Bill J

Any ideas on a good stock for photo book reproduction? - I need a very high white, gloss coated digital stock? Oh im in the UK (I know brands differ across the pond..)

Any ideas on a good stock for photo book reproduction? - I need a very high white, gloss coated digital stock? Oh im in the UK (I know brands differ across the pond..)

Try Sappi or Sterling. They have a very nice gloss coated paper for offset and digital. I'm not sure if they carry this in the UK though.

If you are running digital, I really like Mohawk. They make a great gloss coated stock.

Paper Brands

Paper Brands

We have been using Hello from Robert Horne (UK) for a number of years. It is a triple blade coated FSC accredited sheet and we find it runs really well on the Lithrone.

Oonagh G

I ordered some Sappi HannoArt and McCoy swatch books. At first touch it was immediately obvious that HannoArt is better--what I don't understand is why it says "Right Quality. Right Price." when it's clearly better than McCoy? I just ordered a mailer using it for my boss, I'm excited to see how it turns out.

How do you think McCoy and HannoArt compare with each other?

Generally we run what the customer specs . . . but for the house sheet for coated is Pacesetter

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back