What comes before Newbie? That's where we are - Troubles with X-Rite and colors

>I think it is past time that your company considered hiring a consultant
I'm not disagreeing with what you said just adding that these professional people need to be labeled buyer beware. CorelDRAW X4 was the last in the CorelDRAW series that had several specific issues with color management, so I would suggest learning what X4 did in terms of color management, how X4 was configured in the local environment, then make decisions taking the company forward. X5 and X6 can be big changes in terms of color management for CorelDRAW users dependin gon your work flow.

No one really offers 'color management' for spot colors

No one really offers 'color management' for spot colors

>I think it is past time that your company considered hiring a consultant
I'm not disagreeing with what you said just adding that these professional people need to be labeled buyer beware. CorelDRAW X4 was the last in the CorelDRAW series that had several specific issues with color management, so I would suggest learning what X4 did in terms of color management, how X4 was configured in the local environment, then make decisions taking the company forward. X5 and X6 can be big changes in terms of color management for CorelDRAW users dependin gon your work flow.

I am sorry, but i really don't think CorellDRAW settings will matter much here. The very first thing that need to happen is to discover what this device is capable of producing color wise, get it set up to do that consistantly and then figure out which approach delivers data file that allows you to get to where you need to be. That very well may be to RIP each spot color to a separation and have some other software convert it into the appropriate file to dive the device.

This is why I suggested contacting a G7 expert. I have no faith whatsoever, Corel's or Adobes.

I agree with Michael. I don't think CorelDraw is at the heart of this matter, it's the RIP and printer, with perhaps something inbetween that are. The only way Corel is involved here is in the settings to get the most out of either the rip or conversion software and then the printer.

This is all getting just too complicated and I think that it can be simplified. So I agree with working with an expert that does this kind of thing for a living. You can probably find someone through DigitalNirvana or G7, as Michael suggests.

>I am sorry, but i really don't think CorellDRAW settings will matter much here.
Yes and no depending on the workflow. Specifically since it was mentioned that currently they have X4 and will be bringing X5 on line soon. Spot color definitions even from a properly exported CorelDRAW file from X5 will be significantly different than X4. If we start talking exotic color management settings from X4 (which are common) then all bets are off.

X5/X6 CorelDRAW color management is nearly identical to Adobe except that the Adobe default is ACE color engine, relative colorimetric with BPC on and no support for WCS. Corel does not support BPC, does support WCS and the default rendering is relative colorimetric.
X4 uses CMYK, RGB for spot X5 and X6 uses LAB, CMYK and RGB big difference. Since (I belive he reported decent results already) configuring X5 should be a breeze.

>I agree with Michael. I don't think CorelDraw is at the heart of this matter,
I'm not surprised that you say that, for many CorelDRAW has never been an issue. I have unfortunately have seen many attempts with CorelDRAW as well as Adobe products to modify ink jet or other digital print engines to replicate a spot color fail.

If you check Corels web site you'll find that unlike the many books written on Adobe color management, I wrote THE books on CorelDRAW color management. The only books ever offered on the subject by Corel and as far as I know anyone else. Unfortunately any other publication I've ever read on the color management subject concerning CorelDRAW was DEAD WRONG on almost every issue.

Unfortunately in the hands of the untrained CorelDRAW X4 and older versions of the software had the ability to screw the pooch on color or be dead on in the right hands. With that said a good look at how X4 is configured and the exportation process of the file can confirm if it's configured in a manner that is conducive with a proper RIP/media calibration,(better word configuration). Then a smooth transition to X5/X6 may be possible if the afore mentioned pooch has not been screwed. If all was done correctly the spot colors differences between versions are only those imposed by Pantone.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back