What do you think of the new "Adobe Cloud?"

Here here!!
as I posted earlier, this is a PERFECT time for Quark to step up and move back into the spotlight. Ironically, I did notice they just released Quark 10

...and they released a statement on their Facebook page on May 23rd indicating that they will not be going to a subscription-based model:

"Hi QuarkXPress users, we thought we’d post a quick note to assure you that Quark will continue to offer perpetual licenses of QuarkXPress and has no plans to move customers to monthly subscriptions like Adobe CC. It is important to us that QuarkXPress is accessible to designers of all types, that you get to decide if an upgrade has value to you, and that you receive free updates to QuarkXPress during the life of each version. We have extended our special upgrade pricing through June 30, 2013, which means users on ANY version of QuarkXPress – 3 through 8 – can upgrade to QuarkXPress 9 for the regular upgrade price. If you have questions, please contact us at [email protected] or visit www.quark.com."

good! I was a Quark baby from the beginning, but being prepress, you have to stay with the industry trends. I hope they can pull it off!

Just Adobes way to make us all upgrade again for the same damn thing we already have.

great thread. thanks to all for the input. it's been very interesting and helpful. it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

it certainly does open the opportunity for developers to create another option in software. but i don't know. there is a reason why other applications fell to the wayside throughout the years. i can't remember the last time i saw a Quark file in our shop, but perhaps we'll see more now.

it seems like paying for cable/satellite tv. you don't want most of the crap that's on there. but it's seems like a necessity. specially if you're in an area with poor reception with just an antenna. :)

great thread. thanks to all for the input. it's been very interesting and helpful. it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

it certainly does open the opportunity for developers to create another option in software. but i don't know. there is a reason why other applications fell to the wayside throughout the years. i can't remember the last time i saw a Quark file in our shop, but perhaps we'll see more now.

it seems like paying for cable/satellite tv. you don't want most of the crap that's on there. but it's seems like a necessity. specially if you're in an area with poor reception with just an antenna. :)

Quark lost their market control for two main reasons: one, they stopped updating regularly for what...2-3 years?...when they had their golden child of 4.0. And yes, it was great. for a year. Two, they were so confident in their control of the market that they stopped playing well with the colleges and schools. they stopped having huge discounts for students, they did not offer as nice of pricing to schools for their classroom licenses, and they just plain got over confident. Adobe saw this, invented Indesign (reinvented pagemaker? your choice), and swept into the schools with killer discounts, new concepts, and "streamlined" processes. Yes, in the beginning Indesign sucked. horribly. But when that's all the "kids" are learning, that's what they use. and slowly but surely, Adobe took over the market. Quark has been trying, and failing, to play catch-up ever since. If they are REALLY smart, they will partner up with some of the underdog vector and raster software out there and storm the industry with the security of perpetual license and a complete package.

I dread moving back to Quark - remember, we all left it for a reason. If there's a massive move to Quark, then where do we go with Photoshop and Illustrator? Are they going to play well together, and even if they do, it's still a Cloud issue. And what about those customers that have no problem moving to the cloud? How much do we inconvenience them?

I have to start wondering how Marksware is going to play into this with ID2Q, and will it work as well when we switched to InDesign and had to use Q2ID with very few problems.

Right now, we're still using CS3 and it's not been a problem at all, so we're staying put for now. We also haven't upgraded our Microsoft applications because we can easily convert them using Zamzar, rarely with a problem. If that leads to a problem, then there's always OpenOffice to fall back on.

Alith, I was also a Quark baby back in the day and fought the move to InDesign. But when I saw how user friendly it was with all the bells and whistles I had wanted out of Quark, I was hooked. How do we get unhooked? Quark is going to have to put some pretty hefty work into their program to get the results of something like InDesign.

I also wonder if anyone knows of a way to see how this is being received throughout the industry, not just print professionals, but freelancers, corporate communications, etc. I've gone through the Adobe website, but well, need I say more...they can edit out anything they want.

This has got me in a bit of a quandry and I'm also pretty angry about the entire situation with Adobe. It hurts when you love something then they make it nearly impossible to go along with their horrid decision to make it subscription-based, not knowing how everything will be handled and dealt with in the future. Maybe I should go into shoe sales. Nothing but new shoes.

thanks for the historical info. :) i do remember all that. do you know what are some of the underdog vector/raster softwares out there?

i was thinking this might be the time for Esko to perhaps rework their ArtPro software to a more reasonable price for folks to use as an alternative, i loved ArtPro but Esko didn't seem to plug it as much once they developed DeskPack plugins for AI. but perhaps that would not be such a good idea since they have a relationship with Adobe.

thanks for the historical info. :) i do remember all that. do you know what are some of the underdog vector/raster softwares out there?

i was thinking this might be the time for Esko to perhaps rework their ArtPro software to a more reasonable price for folks to use as an alternative, i loved ArtPro but Esko didn't seem to plug it as much once they developed DeskPack plugins for AI. but perhaps that would not be such a good idea since they have a relationship with Adobe.

off the top of my head, not really...One of my customers was going to switch to maybe this one: Photo editor online - Pixlr.com edit image I haven't even looked at it, I guess it is online only. There is Ghost out there for handling post script, I have used that on occasion to generate PDFs and such. But I do know that if you do a little google poking around out there for vector editors and photo editors there are a few.

I dread moving back to Quark - remember, we all left it for a reason.

well...actually...I only left, feet dragging, because my new RIP upgrade needed straight PDFs and Quark had only just come out with v7 which didn't support PDFs very well. As well as most of my customers were no longer using it. BUT, that being said. now when I have to use Quark I swear... a lot... like a sailor. LOL it's soo clumsy compared to Indesign. though I admit, I haven't used Quark 9 too much, but it does seem to handle PS and PDFs MUCH better. I put v8 and v5 in the same pot of "why did you even bother??".

Ok, another question. What about those of us (which seems like most) who are using anywhere from CS3 to CS6 and change companies that use CC? From what I've seen of the interface, it's very different. Are you going to have to have "experience" using CC to get an opportunity for a position that uses it?

The list of questions just keeps adding up in my mind.

What happens when your RIP doesn't like something in the CC files? Or some plug in you have to use? Or some piece of machinery? We have a couple of vendors that require us to send them files downsaved to a version before Creative Suite 1 because they can't afford a whole new $100,000 machine and it won't read newer files.

And then there's the dreaded Oops, looks like you'll have to update your operating system for these new CC updates. Oops, that means a new computer as well. Money, money, money.

https://www.change.org/petitions/ad...e-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model

There's a petition out there where people are signing for Adobe to go back to a non-subscription model. It's got 37,623 supporters and needs 12,377 more...for what, I don't know.

Additionally, there is a great site that goes into great detail, even from an Adobe VP, about CC. This is great reading.

Analysis: The real reason Adobe ditched Creative Suite for Creative Cloud - News - Digital Arts

This is just one article, but it's got quite a few. Been reading all morning and think I'll sign the petition today.

What happens when your RIP doesn't like something in the CC files? Or some plug in you have to use? Or some piece of machinery? We have a couple of vendors that require us to send them files downsaved to a version before Creative Suite 1 because they can't afford a whole new $100,000 machine and it won't read newer files.

And then there's the dreaded Oops, looks like you'll have to update your operating system for these new CC updates. Oops, that means a new computer as well. Money, money, money.
wait...they can't upgrade past where?!?! I think that may be a different problem all together...

https://www.change.org/petitions/ad...e-mandatory-creative-cloud-subscription-model

There's a petition out there where people are signing for Adobe to go back to a non-subscription model. It's got 37,623 supporters and needs 12,377 more...for what, I don't know.

Additionally, there is a great site that goes into great detail, even from an Adobe VP, about CC. This is great reading.

Analysis: The real reason Adobe ditched Creative Suite for Creative Cloud - News - Digital Arts

This is just one article, but it's got quite a few. Been reading all morning and think I'll sign the petition today.

Very Interesting articles...

cseas~
int he second link, there are a few "alternative" programs listed in the article

The new Adobe cloud is great. Typical haters are the Offset VS Digital people.
Embrace it guys, there are more tools in there to grow your biZ than you may have clue about!
I am an offset print lover, not that digital BS, But I use it to learn how powerful it is.
It may all point to Digital Print now and who has the best/latest output device. Why do you people not wish to grow?

But my Windows phone is all I need, Wake up and use the Adobe Cloud.

The new Adobe cloud is great. Typical haters are the Offset VS Digital people.
Embrace it guys, there are more tools in there to grow your biZ than you may have clue about!
I am an offset print lover, not that digital BS, But I use it to learn how powerful it is.
It may all point to Digital Print now and who has the best/latest output device. Why do you people not wish to grow?

But my Windows phone is all I need, Wake up and use the Adobe Cloud.

I don't believe anyone here knocked the functionality of it. just the pricing theory/structure.
or are you just messing with us....windows phone? WTF?!?!

Well, if Smalloffset doesn't know what "WTF" means, then he probably DOES have a Windows phone. LOL (Oh, that means Laugh Out Loud, BTW (which means By The Way)).

Alith is correct - nobody is knocking it, it's the subscription-based proposition and the functionality of it and older files/programs working together that is the problem here (not the functionality of the product itself). Not to mention the fact that we're now being held hostage and being manipulated beyond measure.

Digital or offset, who cares? It's all the same difference when it comes to prepress - it's just a matter of PMS or CMYK and setup. But the programs needed to manage prepress is a whole other animal and that animal may come back to bite us in the arse, and its name is Adobe.

I simply asked a question, I received a reply of a term I am not familiar with from the forum. Which is WTF. I asked what does that mean and how it applies to my post. I wish that person to answer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back