What do you think of the new "Adobe Cloud?"

So, to continue on with this thread, I've read elsewhere that multiple CC users are having problems with their on-computer Indy 6 once they joined the CC. I know that Alith was in on the discussion and it looked like somehow the CC changed the on-computer preferences.

I'm really afraid that unless EVERYONE is on the CC, or everyone is NOT on the CC, that we're all going to not sinc very well together in the future.

I still think this is all too scary and am not happy with the lack of independence with software we're supposed to purchase, not subscribe to. Through the CC, just how much can they change what preferences we set? Will we go into a file one day and everything's all over the place and we've got to redo the file "at out expense" because the CC screwed something up?

Just not buyin' in on this...

Subscription-based Headaches?

Subscription-based Headaches?

One concern I have regarding a subscription-based model is it appears this will remove our control over upgrades. We also tread into new versions slowly and carefully. It's all client-driven and most of my clients don't rush out and buy the latest versions until at least some of the bugs are worked out. Does this change that?

What happens if it upgrades past the capability of some of my RIPS? Some new feature that doesn't plate correctly all of a sudden and we don't even know about it… remember transparency features that choked everything years ago?

And what about plugins? Suddenly a tool that's become a solid part of your workflow stops working.

Anyone have any experience with any of this? I welcome some thoughts about this and ideas for a strategy to head off possible disasters.

Thanks.

I would love it if the option to buy the products outright was kept. Being forced into this solution bothers me.

Cost wise this is cheaper than buying all the upgrades, assuming you would keep up to date. So for our small business I am pretty happy with it.

we haven't upgraded... sticking to CS6 as long as we can... and asking customers for PDF files or supplying artwork in quark.

One concern I have regarding a subscription-based model is it appears this will remove our control over upgrades. We also tread into new versions slowly and carefully. It's all client-driven and most of my clients don't rush out and buy the latest versions until at least some of the bugs are worked out. Does this change that?

What happens if it upgrades past the capability of some of my RIPS? Some new feature that doesn't plate correctly all of a sudden and we don't even know about it… remember transparency features that choked everything years ago?

And what about plugins? Suddenly a tool that's become a solid part of your workflow stops working.

Anyone have any experience with any of this? I welcome some thoughts about this and ideas for a strategy to head off possible disasters.

Thanks.

We have installed on one computer due to a number of our customers being designers that HAVE to have the "latest and greatest". it still installs like a normal program, so plugins have not been an issue. Unless your plugin hasn't upgraded to be compatible, but that is a different issue.

As far as RIP compatibility, that is always a risk. Although that touches another on-going debate about the industry forcing upgrading. Regardless of the licensing issues, you will still need to have a RIP that can process the latest bells and whistles the industry turns out.

Generally, best bet is to have at least one license of the latest so that you can process files and back-save when necessary. The computer that we installed CC on is still running CS6 AND CS5 with minimal issue as far as we can tell. although we are only installing the programs as needed (Indesign and Illustrator so far). This is a nice feature of the CC licensing though since you now get all or nothing (basically there are no more "packages", you just get the whole software suite). Being a print house, we don't need web development software, and it would be horrible to have to bog down our workstation with unnecessary software.

Another question that I have seen surface has to do with font libraries, since the CC now includes the Adobe TypeKit. Has anyone used that yet? How do you install fonts? And can you package them to send out with jobs?

---> actually, just looked at my coworkers comp to verify I had it right...He has all the way back to CS4... Not sure why... LOL

Also, So far, "updates" are still on an "as you approve them" install status. so if you don't want to update yet, just don't install it. the only thing CC forces on you is how you PAY for the license. and that (even if you don't connect to the internet) after 30 days, it will invalidate your software if you have payed your fees. it has an internal "time bomb" to make sure of that.

Last edited:
Also, a solution to the RIP problem I'm going to be looking at is sticking with standard PDFx versions that should strip out anything that doesn't comply. I use a custom setting based on PDFx and send it to clients. I'm thinking that if some new feature doesn't work that should show in the PDF and at least my client would get an early warning. (If they look at the pdf!)

But we'll be looking at it, preflighting/proofing, etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back