Hard Color Proof Workflow - Do you have the Customer Send the proof back signed these days?

Neecer

Hello
Long time prepress experience. I am wondering what others do for Hard color proofs these days.
Have you come up with ways to save time on approvals? For example, do you send the hard proof out to the customer and your press department and then just receive an email with an approval to run?
Do you still make them send back the signed proof?

Trying to update a workflow here. Thank you.

We are all digital here, and our proofs come off the same printer used for production. We output 2 proofs, send 1, keep 1, accept a verbal or email OK, and don't ask for a signed return. We do mostly recurring B2B business.

Hello
Long time prepress experience. I am wondering what others do for Hard color proofs these days.
Have you come up with ways to save time on approvals? For example, do you send the hard proof out to the customer and your press department and then just receive an email with an approval to run?
Do you still make them send back the signed proof?

Trying to update a workflow here. Thank you.
Hello...Several Customers or Agencies require Hard Copy Proofs....we create 2 ...send out one...keep one for press....email for approval is OK to start plating....Policy is for Hard Copy Proof to be Signed OK & returned prior to printing....just like the good ole days.....

Depends on the piece. Most of the simple pieces like brochures, business cards, flyers, posters, etc - we accept an email approval based on the PDF. If the piece is a bit more complex like a book, manual, or requires some sort of binding/assembly beyond a corner staple, we'll get a signed-off proof on the physical copy.

The key to how you use proofs and proof OKs is to understand the primary function of the proof.
The primary function of a proof is to mitigate liability.
Put another way, if the job fails to meet the customer's expectation - the proof can help establish who pays to correct the failure. So, the kind of proof and level/method of authorization required for the job to be produced should reflect the level of risk the print shop is willing to take on.

Very few of our customers request a hard proof, but when they do we just keep one behind. Used to get signed proofs but these days that’s a formality we don’t normally require.

The key to how you use proofs and proof OKs is to understand the primary function of the proof.
The primary function of a proof is to mitigate liability.
Put another way, if the job fails to meet the customer's expectation - the proof can help establish who pays to correct the failure. So, the kind of proof and level/method of authorization required for the job to be produced should reflect the level of risk the print shop is willing to take on.
Thank you. I find that in the end it doesnt really matter if they signed off on it if there is a problem. lol

Hello...Several Customers or Agencies require Hard Copy Proofs....we create 2 ...send out one...keep one for press....email for approval is OK to start plating....Policy is for Hard Copy Proof to be Signed OK & returned prior to printing....just like the good ole days.....
Thank you.

Depends on the piece. Most of the simple pieces like brochures, business cards, flyers, posters, etc - we accept an email approval based on the PDF. If the piece is a bit more complex like a book, manual, or requires some sort of binding/assembly beyond a corner staple, we'll get a signed-off proof on the physical copy.
I was more curious about color proofs you might send out for approval. I was thinking maybe send it out, but do I really need a sign off....maybe just an email approval to save time. Guess I have to think about it more. Thanks for you input.

Thank you. I find that in the end it doesnt really matter if they signed off on it if there is a problem. lol

I understand.
But it may matter if you have to pay by either reprinting the job at your cost or by discounting your bill.
I have been involved (as a technical witness) in legal disputes between print buyers and printers where the printer is not willing to eat the cost of reprinting a job to correct/fix/make right a job that's gone off the rails where the cost of the job is in the tens of thousands of dollars. In a court - a signed off proof can help clarify exactly who should bear the cost. (e.g. https://printplanet.com/threads/im-looking-for-help-in-europe.292103/ )
It's one reason why there are different levels of proof - from screen proof for low risk jobs to press proofs for high risk jobs. From email OK to physically signed off by multiple people on the client side.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back