What do you think of the new "Adobe Cloud?"

OK I found out what WTF means. Why did the user not type out what it fully means?
Instead of the way she did it? If you wish to express an opinion like WTF just type it out and show me what it means please, instead of your posts that try to criticize me for not knowing.

If I was paying a web designer $10,000 and they said WTF to me, They would be fired on the spot. Chances are your work level is on par with your replies. :) LOW

OK I found out what WTF means. Why did the user not type out what it fully means?
Instead of the way she did it? If you wish to express an opinion like WTF just type it out and show me what it means please, instead of your posts that try to criticize me for not knowing.

If I was paying a web designer $10,000 and they said WTF to me, They would be fired on the spot. Chances are your work level is on par with your replies. :) LOW

Wow. My apologies for causing such an uproar. But for someone who was ripping on us for not staying "with the times" I thought your comment and confusion was bit "behind the times" and so was just going to let it pass. For someone who jumped into a discussion thread very rude and and not contributing anything helpful, you amaze me. I was not sure if you we're joking and decided that no one could be that rude and off topic intentionally, so I assumed you must be joking and responded in kind. The reason I did not type it out is because "my generation" looks at the abbreviation as an exclamation of surprise and jokingly prodding a foolish friend. Completely separate from the meaning of actually typing it out. Basically, along the same lines as OMG and LOL. It is the age we are in. Would I use it in professional company or dealing with a customer? Of course not! In an informal forum discussion where we are all (I should hope) grown adults. And as such can have adult conversations with adult context? I shouldn't think it should cause this much uproar.

Now that aside, who are you to question my professional skills? I have been in the print industry since I was 17. I have been managing the prepress department for 10 years. Beyond that, I do not need to qualify my skills to you. Though, if you really WANT to go there, I can go into great detail on my skills, qualifications and professional references.

If I may redirect your Honor? ;)

I think I'm going to take advantage of their half price promo offer for current CS6 owners. At least on one comp. That will solve the issue of designers who have already upgraded. Has anyone found out any info yet on what Adobe's PR people are doing with HUGE negative opinions?

also...I know Quark has become a four-letter-word in recent years, but has anyone really worked with v9.5 or taken a look at v10?

I have a customer that just won't switch, and so had to work in 9.5 a couple days ago...I was pleasantly surprised. it was speedy, intuitive, and a lot of my complaints and reasons for transferring to Indesign had been fixed. That said, I was looking at the upcoming features for v10. I am intrigued. One of the main things I never liked (and still don't) about Indesign is that it tries to EVERYTHING in one program. I always felt that there was a reasons that Photoshop was called PHOTOshop. Illustrator was for Vector, and Quark was for putting everything together. When Quark wasn't playing well with Photoshop and Illustrator, it really caused workflow problems. However, in looking at the "new" features.... I think it may just play better with them now than Indesign does.

Link:
the overview:
QuarkXPress 10 – Desktop Publishing software – Page Layout Software

and this was very interesting:
QuarkXPress Version Comparison

From other Quark baby's out there...what do you think? all thing considered, is it worth a look? I mean...it looks like it's going to have full native layer/trans support FROM PDF. screw the CC, get the PDFs and put them in Quark... it's what we always used to do. I'm just intrigued.

--->> Ok... this is one of the coolest things EVER! I can't even count the number of times i've needed something like this!! and I didn't even know it was there. How sad.
http://quark.com/Products/QuarkXPress/Features/Layout_Automation.aspx#imagegrid

Last edited:
Quark is still missing the 9 point transform pallet that InDesign has. Without it you have to do to much math to find position coordinates. Also I'm not to thrilled with the way Quark handles transparency, or the importation of it. I did read it now supports "PDF transparency passthrough" but can't find any explanation as to what that means. Exporting color is also a challenge at times. 99% of our customers use InDesign or send PDF's so we won't be updating to Quark 10 here regardless of what has now changed.

I think the last time I saw a quark file was at least 1.5 - 2 years ago and it was in Version 6 . . . so I don't think I will be upgrading on the hope that a quark file comes in . . .

just sayin:)

I agree. I don't know if I could even use Quark now. I haven't seen a Quark file in probably 10 years. Also anxious to research and read what everyone out there is saying about CC now that it's been out a while.

I wish I could say the same, but have about a half dozen designers that still use it, so we have had to keep one copy up to date.
throwing it out there as an option for something you can still "own". although from the sounds of it, as much as we are all unhappy about the pricing system, we will probably all upgrade...eventually. There really isn't much choice in the matter if that is what the customers are using. Upgrade and adapt or die.

Well you are still going to need Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat and then buy Quark...so you are going to spend more on all of that than if you subscribed to the CC in the first place. And you are then going to have to deal with 100 character validation codes that don't work and deal with the arrogance that is Quark the company.

Well you are still going to need Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat and then buy Quark...so you are going to spend more on all of that than if you subscribed to the CC in the first place. And you are then going to have to deal with 100 character validation codes that don't work and deal with the arrogance that is Quark the company.

True! Although, are they any more arrogant than Adobe ATM?

True! Although, are they any more arrogant than Adobe ATM?

Probably not but but unless Quark can now create vector files, edit photos, and edit PDFs it's really not an alternative to Creative Suite. Yes it could be an alternative to InDesign but you still need the other tools.

The new Adobe cloud is great. Typical haters are the Offset VS Digital people.
Embrace it guys, there are more tools in there to grow your biZ than you may have clue about!
I am an offset print lover, not that digital BS, But I use it to learn how powerful it is.
It may all point to Digital Print now and who has the best/latest output device. Why do you people not wish to grow?

But my Windows phone is all I need, Wake up and use the Adobe Cloud.

It's not a matter of not wishing to grow. Money or lack thereof can keep a lot of people from growing. It's also a matter of how each "update" may potentially cause a snag in workflow, plug-in or output device.

Like most people, I am skeptical of the subscription model that Adobe is moving to.
In the recent past, Adobe has updated the Creative Suite about once a year.
I upgraded 10 seats to CS6 Design Standard 14 months ago for $269.17 per seat.
I just spoke to Adobe last Friday. To get "Creative Cloud for Teams" it will be $39.99 per seat per month.
So essentially I have to go from paying $270.00/year to $480.00/year per seat.
Where is the value in that?

Probably not but but unless Quark can now create vector files, edit photos, and edit PDFs it's really not an alternative to Creative Suite. Yes it could be an alternative to InDesign but you still need the other tools.

It might just be able to do some of those things. It looks like they have made MAJOR tweaks under the hood. Also, with Quark, and customers sending PDFs, I could postpone upgrading for much longer. All my computers are CS6, and with PitStop Pro we can make most edits and changes to supplied PDFs. It is an option. Not necessarily a long-term solution, but an option to bide time and see if something else steps in, or if Adobe pulls their collective heads out of their as*es. Maybe. Or we're all just screwed. but I really don't like that last option. that's really going to put a huge strain on an already struggling industry.

I don't see Quark as a competitor to Adobe anymore, in fact Adobe's main competition are Torrent sites where piracy has proven to be a perennial loss for Adobe. Creative Cloud is an attempt to stem that loss by turning Adobe's portfolio into Software As A Service instead, the only alternative imo is open source and products like GIMP provide a platform where the community can develop a true Adobe alternative this requires Adobe to annoy enough folks to get motivated and from their arrogance so far this will only be a matter of time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back