What to do? (unit has been sitting idle for years)

atagliata

I have a 6 year old 7600 w/ Ultrachrome inks that has been sitting idle for the past 3 years. No matter how many times I select 'clean nozzles' they never become fully clean, and the nozzle print lines that do print only do so momentarily... dried ink I suppose. I've read on several sites about dampening the pads and injecting cleaner fluid into the cones that the cartridges feed into, and I might try some of these things, as I've little to lose. But even if I get the nozzles clean, the fact is, this printer is just too expensive to operate in Ultrachrome mode... it always has been (which is why it has sat idle for so long.) I have to find a substantially cheaper way to operate this printer, or I have to buy another printer.

In doing some research, I see that the non-Ultrachrome inks are cheaper... additionally I can get 'refillable' cartridges and ink even cheaper still. (I don't think that 'refillable' Ultrachrome cartridges are available.) In order to switch, I apparently need 'flushing' cartridges, which were apparently inexpensive at one time, but now require that I take out a second mortgage. Is there any cheaper solution to flushing cartridges? Does anyone know of a cheap flushing fluid that I can pour into the existing (almost empty) ink cartridges? And can anyone tell me how to reset the 7600 to accept Photographic Dye?

I guess what I'm really asking is for any advice on what would be the cheapest way to make this 7600 work for me. It has seen very little action, but is essentially worthless to me as it simply requires too much overhead.

Thanks,
Rob

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back