What to look for in a used Ryobi 3302

robbg439

Hello,

I run a small offset shop/bindery that is part of a nonprofit arts exhibition space in Portland, OR. I run mostly one and two color jobs, occasional 4-color work–stuff like invitations, posters and catalogs for our shows, as well as illustrated artists books that are made in collaboration with artists. We also have letterpress equipment, and a 1905 smyth sewing machine that I nursed back to health. The vibe is small and scrappy, but we are able to produce some cool stuff. If you're interested my press is at Info : Container Corps and the larger nonprofit is at yaleunion.org

Anyway, I've been running an A3 hamada press (611ECD) for about 6 years, using mostly poly plates imaged on an HP 5100, with occasional outsourced metal plates when needed. I'm ready to expand to a two color press that can use my current platemaking workflow, and it seems like a used Ryobi 3302 is the way to go. They seem to come up fairly often for sale, and some at relatively good prices. I'm excited by the 3 ink form rollers (my hamada only has 2), and obviously being able to do 2 colors at one pass would be life changing. Seems like the register is more refined as well. My question is, what are the important things I should be looking for? I know I want crestline (what I'm used to) or kompac dampeners. But is there anything else that I should consider a deal-breaker when looking at these previously owned presses?

Thanks a lot!

Hi: I am at six years on a 3302. Kompacs, with console control. So a 3302 M. The other model has a vertical controles. Sorry if this is not so clear to you. But that is a difference. They both have the univeral feed table. And possibe variants with plate clamp. Its the work horse of the industry. hope this helps.

The 3302 comes in 3 flavors. The older ones are 3302M, The newer ones are 3302H and the present one is a 3302C.
The older ones have 7 feeder belts; newer ones have 4 and sometimes 5. The first 3302M had very small push guides and there was an add on to extend the guides. I would consider that machine a red flag due to age and the electrical components they use. They would have a 4 roller Crestline also. Lever action machine.

The newer 3302M will have the belts as listed above and factory push guides and the ability to loosen the feeder belts to move them. Also to push from OP/NON-SIDE. Most times the Crestlines will be a six roller setup or an Altra without the geared form roller. Decent machines and newer style software and Inverter motor controller. Lever action machine.

The 3302H is my choice, Ryobi made the impression cylinder gear wider and did some other tweaks that make this press register and just print sweet solids etc. You can also tilt the feeder drum for crooked paper. These will come with a Altra series Crestline with a geared form roller. Just to many mods to list. Push button action machine.

The newer model is the 3302C; this will have all the great features of the 3302H except it comes with a Ryobi copy of a Crestline that in my opinion does not work as well as the Original Accel Crestline. I am not a fan of any Ryobi water system I have had to work on or run. Kompacs seem to run very wet on these machines.
Hope this helps you and I enjoyed your web site and Hamada video. Keep it real man.

Thanks, that's super helpful. Yes, the 3302H looks really nice. I really like the console ink control. Its like I can play "Real Pressman." Although all the ones I've seen come up are about 4x the price of the 3302M. Probably worth it, but outside of my price range.

Do you know what year they made the change to the push guides?

I think things changed like in late 80’s early 90’s. But here is the thing unless you see the machine in a local shop to verify or if you buy online request photos and a good crisp video of the machine from front to back and top to bottom. I have installed a few machines people buy online and a few made out ok, but a few had to dump money into it.
Always verify the rollers, rubber pads on the gripper tips, lower feed roller, feed belts and chain delivery chains and on and on.
Take time to verify any purchase of a used Ryobi, lots of junk out there I see. Buy local if you can and have a tech go over it and make sure it was never dropped nor had frames replaced.
Good luck sir.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back