What Were / Are Better Times?

D Ink Man

1) The day when you had to rely on what was between your ears and utilized pens, pencils, paper and books for communication and knowledge?

Or.............................................................

2) The day when you mostly utilized electronic devices for communication and knowledge, with little matter what exists between your ears?

Happy replying. :rolleyes:

D Ink Man

3.) The days on that you can communicate with the whole Planet Earth including the use of google translator to share your doubts in doing that in exactly that „digital“ way, you want to compare with real „human“ conditions?

Why again that (seems very american at the moment for me - look at the McCoy/Hatfield-syndrome mentioned in the last discussion here in the lounge) style of question to offer only two possible answers?

Neither „the digital world“ nor single humans (and their brain- or handicraft) are good or bad.

The digital world as well as a single human are always both, good and(!) bad.

Or, like Neil Young already sung: Even Richard Nixon has got Soul, so that includes Donald Trump i think?

Well, i see upcoming a hard discussion whith Neil on his next trip to Europe...

;-)

Best

Ulrich

Last edited:
1) The day when you had to rely on what was between your ears and utilized pens, pencils, paper and books for communication and knowledge?

Or.............................................................

2) The day when you mostly utilized electronic devices for communication and knowledge, with little matter what exists between your ears?

Happy replying. :rolleyes:

D Ink Man

Getting back to your original post.

Knowledge, like information, is not understanding. Individual value comes from understanding more so than from knowledge or information since the latter are easily acquired by anyone whereas understanding must be developed by the individual and is not easily acquired.

Getting back to your original post.

Knowledge, like information, is not understanding. Individual value comes from understanding more so than from knowledge or information since the latter are easily acquired by anyone whereas understanding must be developed by the individual and is not easily acquired.

Such a fine response that must eventually answer to 'the' D Ink Man and St. Pete. Nevertheless, your reply is respected, as always. Thank you, although somewhat confused by your writings. Just an inkman, you no.

D

I look to my Children. Is their life better than mine was when i was their age. My kids are well employed, only one is a printer, and they tell me that Life is Good. Everyone is healthy and the bills are getting paid so these are the "good times" if you ask me.

I look to my Children. Is their life better than mine was when i was their age. My kids are well employed, only one is a printer, and they tell me that Life is Good. Everyone is healthy and the bills are getting paid so these are the "good times" if you ask me.

I like that.

D Ink Man

Gordo is indeed the Burning Bush in this forum. Epistemology is the branch of philosophy concerned with the theory of knowledge. When you have a question or need a quote this a good spot.

Gordo is indeed the Burning Bush in this forum. Epistemology is the branch of philosophy concerned with the theory of knowledge. When you have a question or need a quote this a good spot.

Or the Kalama Sutta.

(Why isn’t there a 13th floor? Should Pantone supply Haint Blue ink?)

Just as an example, if you’ve read any of Erik Nikkanen’s posts he often seems to be highlighting the difference between knowledge/information and understanding when he posts about press design.

Last edited:
You receive knowledge when someone tells you to do something. You receive understanding when that person explains why to do something the way it's been told to do.

Ok, back to the original post subject. I admit it is a very difficult to choose which times are better.

Many of the forum members can only read about the pens, pencils, books and paper era in history books. Oh wait; there are no history books, but at least they can read about those times on Wikipedia.

In retrospect, this was really an unfair question. The reason is that you actually had to LIVE it yourself, experience it wholly in the actual times of the epoch.

Alas, the question of this post will continue to fade as time goes by as hard material like ink on real paper heads to the fate of extinction after a epic run. But it may bring up another question! What will eventually lead to the extinction of pure electronic communication? The end.

The end!?!?

D Ink Man

Damn it's been so long since I held a pen lol. Though I am nostalgic about the times when lives were simpler and we used what we got "between our ears", life right now is not so bad. All thanks to the internet!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back