what would you do if you werent printing

I would be in the military. Since I have a family, I'd go Guard; if I didn't have a family, I'd probably join the navy or coast guard- I like boats. But I'm afraid that after I take the assessment test, the recruiter would say, "Congratulations! You'll make a perfect press operator!"

....and then I'd kill myself....

Helping people. Not sure how exactly but I would be pretty open minded. I can truly say that at 40 years old I have not done the world very much good.......... For some reason I have absolutely no patience to train older people in the industry. But put a young person beside me and I will show them the world. Past that, an EMT. Come to think of it, I still have time.

My first preference is printing and second is psychology. So if I was not related with printing then I would have gone in psychology.

Last edited:
Actually I am taking up studying teaching, but that is not saying I'm signing off. There are so many things that fascinate me… would love to do research…

I always wanted to be a Lumberjack. Floating down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. With my best girl by my side, we'd sing, sing, sing.

Last edited:
I always wanted to be a Lumberjack. Floating down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. With my best girl by my side, we'd sing, sing, sing.

The woolen clothes are itchy though.

gordon p (in BC where mighty rivers flow - unless they're dammed)

On Wednesdays would you go shopping and have buttered scones for tea?

If money wasn't an issue at all (like if I won the lottery), I would have gone back to school for a major that would probably have changed every 2 years. I would have a cabin in the Pacific Northwest - far enough from the city to be quiet but close enough that I could get a Starbucks fix if needed.
If I actually had to have a job I think I would have gone into architecture.

On Wednesdays would you go shopping and have buttered scones for tea?

If money wasn't an issue at all (like if I won the lottery), I would have gone back to school for a major that would probably have changed every 2 years. I would have a cabin in the Pacific Northwest - far enough from the city to be quiet but close enough that I could get a Starbucks fix if needed.
If I actually had to have a job I think I would have gone into architecture.

LOL! If you do find a place that is quiet far from the city and close enough to be in starbucks, let me know if you want any crazy neighbors :)

It's a tough question, and one that I've been asking myself. I always thought, what can I be doing 5 years from now? If I went back to college and got a degree, I can be starting a new career with a better future. Or, in 5 years, i can still be in printing and hoping that I don't get laid off, or have my salary cut again, or be put back on 4 day work weeks.
So, at 43 years old, I decided last year to go back to school for a better future for me and for my family. I figure that i have another 25-30 years to work, I may as well be doing something worthwhile. I'm going for a degree in Computer Science.

second career

second career

I worked at a newspaper for 37 years manged prepress/advertising support and got bought out. Worked at a commercial printer for a while family owned toxic environment.

I moved to Charlotte, NC was jobless for awhile but got into handling mail for banks. I am now in a retiees dream job working at a banking company basically deliver boxes and mail, clean and setup conference room, check printers for toner and paper and fill in at the reception desk. This is sweet who wants to retire.:D

I'm not in printing any more, but thankfully, the equipment in the printing industry was as modern as most any industry, which allowed me to transfer my skills as an electrical/mechanical machinery tech to another industry rather seamlessly.

I think I made my big mistake by going to work for a manufacturer in 2004 when the equipment dealership got taken over, IMO manufacturers tend to look at service personnel as a support system for new sales.

Now I work for an "end user" outside the printing industry, where my skill set is most valuable (on the production floor).

Last edited:
In process of 5 year retirement plan

In process of 5 year retirement plan

Actually more like a 20 year retirement plan, but without the retirement - just another form of work & travel.

Purchased propery on a sand track road by beach in Mexico 16 years ago.

Started building small hotel about 3 years ago - incorporated Green ideas

Such as dual drainage and septic tanks for grey water irrigation with intial install of Infiltrator drainage see Infiltrator Systems - but designed for conversion to airation system, see Biolytix.com and KISSS USA Your Source For Capillary Irrigation Systems irrigation systems. utilized low flow dual flush fixtures throughout.

Passive shading for solar with overhangs brought down to door height.

Insulated concrete Earthquake/Huricane resistant as areas first complete Insteel Panelmex S.A de C.V. building

Incorporateing LED, pool and emergency lighting and T5 lighting as well as inverter based DC motors for pool pump and washer and inverter mini split air conditioning, as well as ceiling fans in all rooms.

Wired with category 6 internet cable while we have yet to have a land line phone - Hooked it up with G3 cellular this summer.

As this is located in a Frost free zone I incorporated a typical Mexican roof gravity water system but with a solar water heating system of my own design incorporating swimming pool type water heaters and gravity recirculation through solar collectors.

So once my daughter is through school in a year and a half we will likely move from one nicely functioning print shop business in a nice growth area center to a forthcoming new dam, British Columbias largest Wind generating farms, a hive of oil and gas and mining activity previously known as a rural farming and logging area.

Will we sell, will we partner with another or with our employees?

That depends on the offer,but one way or other I intend to enjoy winters South at our hotel Playa Linda Beach view, Playa Linda Hotel.com, Tapachula Chiapas Mexico

Ken [email protected]
Community Printers, Dawson Creek, Fort St John, Chetwynd, Printing, Stationery, Copies, Laminating, Photo Copying, Color copying, Offset Printing, Blue Print, Ecommerce

Well, I currently teach piano lessons in the afternoons. Guess if I wasn't in the industry I would need to pick up a few more students and find someplace to jam on the weekends that paid.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back