Whatever happened to......

oxburger

Good grammar? And using punctuation?

Are people just getting lazy? I saw a run on sentence the other day that could have been 5 separate sentences had they just used punctuation.

And what about word choice? I know I'm not perfect, but I do know the difference between there, their and they're!

It's bad enough when you can't speak or spell the language, but some of these people are in management positions.

How scary is that?

Just my too scents (pun intended).

Phonics... What the heck was wrong with teaching Phonics.

Our oldest is getting better (His mother and I both have CDO ((OCD with the letters in the right order)) when it comes to grammar and proper english.) but for a long time, his spelling was ATTROCIOUS because they don't teach the kids the proper sounds of things as they relate to the written word.

Last edited:
RE: "they don't teach the kids the proper sounds of things as they relate to the written word."

How about:

wind and wind

or

to, too, two, tutu

or

a rose, arose, arrows

English is complicated. :)

feh. we read whole words anyway. you can probably still read this:

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid; aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

my point? sure professional communication has it's place, but the more important thing internally is if there is communication. the point of writing and reading afterall is communication. i say as long as the point is made who cares how you spell it or punctuate it...unless of course it is a resume or business letter (email).

I agree that if it's an internal memo or text message, who cares, but when a company puts out advertising or sends me something via email or I see it on a webpage and the grammar and spelling aren't correct, my first impression is: "you're an idiot and I don't want to do business with you" because quite frankly, if they can't spell and I'm doing business with them, I'd hate to think their math is as bad when it comes time to bill me!

...because, say, you use the word cum instead of come it could really mislead the person on the other end!

I agree that if it's an internal memo or text message, who cares, but when a company puts out advertising or sends me something via email or I see it on a webpage and the grammar and spelling aren't correct, my first impression is: "you're an idiot and I don't want to do business with you" because quite frankly, if they can't spell and I'm doing business with them, I'd hate to think their math is as bad when it comes time to bill me!

Ox, I completely understand. In a business setting you expect individuals to speak at a certain level of cohesiveness. Sadly there are a lot of schools that are basically dealing with problems that should of been dealt with at lower levels of the education system. For example:

High school teachers always complain that their students are not well versed with correct grammatical skills. Apparently, middle school didn't teach them well enough. Take it a step back:

Middle school teachers always complain that their students are not well versed with sentence structure with the result of a sentence that doesn't make sense. Another step back:

Elementary school teachers always complain that their students are not well versed with spelling. Its ALWAYS something. Now with the introduction of text messaging, people will create new variations of words to get the same point across.

And that's all it is, trying to get the point across in less time. This doesn't work too well in a business standpoint, and there is really only two options you have. You either do business with them or you don't. That simple. For me, I usually call a company when I am looking for prospects to buy. If they do not treat me properly, I won't buy from them and thats all there is. Same can go with doing business. We expect people in a business to have at least some good communication skills, whether it is via e-mail correspondence or through the phone. Whether that is a deciding factor if you will do business with them is a moral and ideological standpoint that is different for everyone.

I might have to speak with a surfer dude just to get a job done, but if I know I can trust the pricing and customer service of the company, I probably will forgo the abnormalities of talking to this one guy in order to get the type of quality I need. A big thing about that is trying to start and maintain relationships with companies that you trust. And that's really all there is to it.

If these are people who are in management positions in your company, well then I'm not sure what to tell ya. If they sign your check, I'd just smile and nod if their "I has grat ideaz guyz! I wich to setup meetins'!!!!!!" goes up for a spin. If they don't, you might make it a note to not piss them off. :p

When I listened to a rap song I always would have to ask my black friends "what are they saying?"
Now that I have hooked on Ebonics....I dont hav to ax dem shit.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back