Which one?

Keith

I don't know if anyone else on here is running a Canon w8400 but I tried to order yellow ink today and three of my suppliers said it has been discontinued. All other colors are still available. I bought this machine in 2006 so I knew this day will come. But maybe this yellow ink shortage is temporary, like what happened to Xerox a couple of years ago?

Which brings me to my reason for my post. I think I need to go shopping for a new one. I really dont want another aqueous printer because I do a lot of banners and adhesive vinyl (which I currently farm out some of it). But I'm undecided between the Hp Latex 115 with cutter and the Epson s40600. I'm leaning towards the HP because of faster lamination times and the cutter will open up a lot more opportunities. And it should be less of a learning curve. Plus, I like the idea of doing plush banners (I do a lot of retractable banners).

I already have all the ancillary equipment, laminate, work tables, etc, and now that I have moved my shop, a lot more space. I just want to hear some opinions, pros and cons, first hand experience, etc., before I make a decision.

I thought the lamination times were quick with the Epson? I know in the literature it boasts about same day lamination. We did buy a S40600 a few months back and have been very happy with it. Colour looks fantastic, stunning even with some pieces we have done. We are pretty basic with it, use it for printing on vinyl label stock and then mounting it to foam core and coroplast as well as vinyl for pull up banners and outdoor banners. It all looks really good. We did get an external cutter which is very handy to have though it does not get a lot of use. Pretty simple and small but opened up a few custom jobs we could not do before without ordering a die.

Wonderings, thanks for the reply. The Epson is rated for lamination after four hours, the only solvent machine that can do that. But after a lot of thought, I went with the HP Latex 315 print and cut. I get a lot of orders that have to be done same day and even four hours can be too long. It's 10" shorter than the Epson and I could of gone with the bigger HP but I can count on one hand how many times someone has asked me for something bigger than four and a half feet. My new machine gets delivered next week!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back