Which OS are you?

IBM main frame: punched cards, book in cards at counter on Monday afternoon, wait for counter clerk (sorry computer technician) to say no time until Thursday morning to run program, output should be available Friday morning or afternoon or the following Monday or Tuesday, unless there were upgrades to install - in which case two weeks time minimum.
DEC minicomputer: own terminal, own printer, own programs, messaging, multi-user dungeons and dragons - bliss.
IBM AS 400: own terminal, but needed permission to run any program, save any data files, do any useful work, etc. from supervisor. Supervisor would run program, I would enter data and error. Argue with supervisor, and error. Get sacked. Company folds three months later.
IBM PC XT: DOS, Lotus Symphony (intergrated suite of word processor, spreadsheet, database). Would get DP (data processing department) to print account records to disk (5.25inch) and process on spreadsheet allowing me to be three full days ahead of everyone else. Saved a car rental company (the one that tried harder) seven million pounds. Got laid off when they moved from London to Manchester (UK).
Sinclair ZX 81 - kids & I had great fun.
Apple Macintosh - life changed for ever - downside is I have been in prepress ever since - cannot give up addiction - need help!

Started with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum hooked up to my parents TV, then Commodore SX-64 (the portable version with tiny color monitor and built in 5 1.4 inch floppy drive.
After that a number of MS-Dos PC's up till windows 3.11. After that Mac all the way.
250px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

sx64.jpg

Last edited:
Started on an IBM Selectric.
Moved to a Compugraphic 7500.

Then came the most miraculous invention I'd ever seen: WYSIWYG - Mac Plus with Pagemaker and Illustrator.

No more rubber cement, no more ruby or amberlith (although I love peeling the stuff). Ah, the bad old days. Makes me smile. ;)

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back