Who creates the artwork for your online print shop

I spoke to my niece a couple of days ago and she's just started working in social media marketing. When she's gone for interviews, she told me that a lot of companies (in the UK) now ask if she's familiar with Canva rather InDesign or any other layout program. I wonder if this is because its free/cheaper than InDesign and that it also gives you hundreds of templates to start from which is half of the job done.
I mean, that makes sense... until they want them to also create print graphics. I have one person who is making their 50pg coil book files in Canva.... I cannot fathom the amount of time that takes. The plus side for a lot of businesses is that you can hire cheaper talent and not spend $80+/mo per seat for an Adobe License plus access to graphics at a predictable/reasonable cost. It's a smart business model on Canva's part and for a lot of businesses makes more financial sense.

Adobe's going to get themselves priced out of the 50% of the market if they aren't careful.

I spoke to my niece a couple of days ago and she's just started working in social media marketing. When she's gone for interviews, she told me that a lot of companies (in the UK) now ask if she's familiar with Canva rather InDesign or any other layout program. I wonder if this is because its free/cheaper than InDesign and that it also gives you hundreds of templates to start from which is half of the job done.
I don't take anyone seriously in the UK. Sorry.

I mean, that makes sense... until they want them to also create print graphics. I have one person who is making their 50pg coil book files in Canva.... I cannot fathom the amount of time that takes. The plus side for a lot of businesses is that you can hire cheaper talent and not spend $80+/mo per seat for an Adobe License plus access to graphics at a predictable/reasonable cost. It's a smart business model on Canva's part and for a lot of businesses makes more financial sense.

Adobe's going to get themselves priced out of the 50% of the market if they aren't careful.
Adobe buys Canva and they convert it into an on-ramp for pay versions of the different programs.

I can understand using Canva as a 1-off for a flyer but not sure about 50 page books. I noticed that Canva allow you to download it as an app, so I wonder if they've made it easier to use rather than working online

I don't take anyone seriously in the UK. Sorry.
Fair enough, that's your view but one of the ways I've changed is to watch and keep an eye on what youngsters are doing nowadays and never underestimate how quick things are changing. I've been in print for over 30 years but I'm not naive and am willing to move with the times, even if it means moving away from print.

Last edited:
Hi,

We have recently integrated Canva with our E-Commerce print platform and it works great!
Anyone who would like to see a demo is more than welcome to contact me at [email protected].
Thanks

The easiest solution is to integrate a design tool into your website and let your customers design or import their designs. Finding a robust design tool that you can rely on and your customers will love is a challenge. I can confidently suggest DesignO online design tool, as it is already famous among photo printers, digital printers, in-plant printers, brand managers, and graphic designers.

It delivers a Canva-like user experience, which is super fast & easy to use. DesignO allows both experienced and amateur designers to create customizable artwork of any kind quickly. Sounds interesting? Let’s get deep into it.

Learn more here Best Features of Graphic Design Software for Printers in 2022 - DesignO

Im currently doing my research regarding online print stores, but what about artwork.
If the customer doesn't have the software to create artwork, apart from web-to-print templates, are there an online websites the customer can go to so that they can design and create it themselves and supply me with a print ready PDF file.
I don't want to deal with the artwork side of things, I only want to print!!!

Example: Poster Templates & Social Media Graphics
This allows the customer to select a template, edit and save as a file (for a small fee)
Contact OnPrintShop, we are using their services, very reasonable, with alot of backend features, including Job Workflow... OnPrintShop : Web to Print, Web2Print (W2P) Storefront Solutions

The most straightforward solution is to incorporate a design tool into your website and allow your customers to create or import their own designs. Finding a solid design tool on which you can rely and that your customers will appreciate is difficult. I recommend the Brush Your Ideas online design tool.

These Online Product Designers leave no stone unturned in order to give you complete control. They provide you with a customizable UI after assessing your business feasibility. With the Online Product Design Tool, you can set custom pricing, restrict editing, manage printing, and much more.

The most straightforward solution is to incorporate a design tool into your website and allow your customers to create or import their own designs. Finding a solid design tool on which you can rely and that your customers will appreciate is difficult. I recommend the Brush Your Ideas online design tool.

These Online Product Designers leave no stone unturned in order to give you complete control. They provide you with a customizable UI after assessing your business feasibility. With the Online Product Design Tool, you can set custom pricing, restrict editing, manage printing, and much more.
If you don't put your prices upfront and/or a price range upfront then I automatically assume that either:
1) You create pricing based on what you think you can get away with charging the customer. OR
2) Your pricing is so high that you'll scare away potential customers if you disclose it upfront.

Either way, I don't have the time to waste investigating it without knowing upfront whether or not the price alone will make it cost prohibitive.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back