who is packing blankets

TBH This sounds like a Good idea i wish id thought of it. I never change sheet size always SRA2 so i might give this ago

doesnt sound like the smartest idea to me. look at it like this.... the area of blanket that is cut is NOT going to be making contact with the plate cylinder. the dampening solution will continue to build up on the plate cylinder where the packing is cut. Theoretically most of the excess water should be returned to the water pan but in reality im thinking that it has to go somewhere. i see it either going into the roller train and causing emusification problems, or eventually building up so much on the edges that it begins to drip on the sheet. of course the longer the run the greater potential for problems.

doesnt sound like the smartest idea to me. look at it like this.... the area of blanket that is cut is NOT going to be making contact with the plate cylinder. the dampening solution will continue to build up on the plate cylinder where the packing is cut. Theoretically most of the excess water should be returned to the water pan but in reality im thinking that it has to go somewhere. i see it either going into the roller train and causing emusification problems, or eventually building up so much on the edges that it begins to drip on the sheet. of course the longer the run the greater potential for problems.

In general, you are correct. We remedy these problems you pointed out a few ways;

Skewing the pan roller
Segregated dampening
Tighter ink/water balance

Do the newer Heidelbergs still have the air curtains or fans for the roller train? In theory, when running a smaller sheet, you would open the air nozzles or turn on the fans outside the sheets length to prevent the build of excessive dampening solution on the roller ends.

Do the newer Heidelbergs still have the air curtains or fans for the roller train? In theory, when running a smaller sheet, you would open the air nozzles or turn on the fans outside the sheets length to prevent the build of excessive dampening solution on the roller ends.

The XL105 / XL75 does not have the air curtain, because of the skewing feature. The CD102's still have it.

the piling on the blanket is due to emulsified ink.the solution to the problem is to change the foutain solution and tryto print alcohol free/alcohol substitute.it is sheer madness tokeep changing blanket packings each time you runn a different size of paper

I had worse buildup on one brand of plates than another. Tried water wetters and a few other chemistry changes, but it came down to a reset of the roller train, tightly controlled water settings and a change of plates. We were getting quite thick buildup in the non image areas, made worse by the too high fount emulsifying the inks. Now, its simply one size of packing and any size paper.
BTW super blues do get dirty, i make sure they are brushed regularly, and the back cylinders are cleaned every 12 hours without fail. Shifts stop 20 minutes before the next shift starts and cleans the impression cylinders, transfer cylinders and the blankets.

sometimes it is due to the plates.some plates dont develop completely and a residual coating remain on the plate,if the residualcoating is less you get picture framing and if it is more you may get tinting on the paper as the plate get sensitised

Yuck...

Yuck...

I think worse than the time involved, which as an owner, cannot be overstated, I would not feel great about multiple blanket changes a day, you would be chasing slop out of them and opens up liability of a blanket not being put on right...I HATE CHANGING BLANKETS>>> pack them full format and clean back cylinders when ever you move up format and get paperline, that is God telling you it is time to clean.

Last edited:
What are we talking about here Conventional inks? or UV inks, we run full packing on our large format presses and every job has a customised sheet size and as long as the presscrews wash blankets after every job it's not a problem, now on UV inks it's another thing

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back