Wht is the difference between KM c6501 & 65hc

The 65HC uses high chroma toner which allows for a wider colour gamut than conventional CMYK. Not really a lot of use though unless you are printing RGB documents. I had a demo a while back and the output of the 65HC reminded me of hexachrome samples I saw years ago. Vivid oranges and greens.

HC?

HC?

Yes the colour gammut is bigger in Green and Orange.

So be aware of the fact that you will be using this engine to make final output results.
If you would use the same files on other press/printer the results will never match.

So unlike KM is telling DO NOT USE it as a proving device to match offset.

1. The gamut is not bigger it is shifted. Otherwise it would hit the regular gamut and the sRGB gamut.

2. I have never heard a rep say that the machine is good for proofing. Infact I have been pushing for them to sell and they have said that the engine is for a specific type of job which doesn't suite the traditional crowd.

We were in negotiations for 2 KM color boxes and some Oce BW boxes. The dealer who we were dealing with would not offer the 65hc's to us because they felt that they don't hold up after 1mil clicks. They do not sell them because of the added service calls and parts it would cost them to maintain over 650X's. They were real comfortable selling us 2 6501's and having us run them till the wheels fell off but even a KM dealer thought the 65hc's were crap.

We were in negotiations for 2 KM color boxes and some Oce BW boxes. The dealer who we were dealing with would not offer the 65hc's to us because they felt that they don't hold up after 1mil clicks. They do not sell them because of the added service calls and parts it would cost them to maintain over 650X's. They were real comfortable selling us 2 6501's and having us run them till the wheels fell off but even a KM dealer thought the 65hc's were crap.

There is obviously more to this story as the parts manual for the HC and 6501 is identical, probably because they are the same machine. Not entirely sure why different toner would reduce the reliability or add cost to the same machine.

It doesn't hold the color from what I'm told. The colors it hits in the early stages of the machines life do not duplicate later in its life cycle. This is from a km/oce dealer.

When I say they didn't want the added parts cost I didn't mean inventory but from additional service calls because the box is on reliable.

Last edited:
From a technical perspective this seems unlikely as I have a couple of 6500 pushing 3 million and those customers still hit the same colours as day one. The difference here is the toner is a different shade so I am struggling to justify their opinion.

Where abouts are these guys? I wouldn't mind talking to them about this.

I think that is exactly their point the 6500's hold up really well over time yet they have seen the opposite happen with the 65hc. The 65hc is a more expensive unit, they would have sold it to us if they knew it wouldn't give them headaches down the road.

but the 65HC and the 6501 are the same machine. The only thing that's different is the toner. I was a little concerned about parts etc when I was looking into getting one as it is a niche machine but KM sales said will never be a problem regardless of the quantity they sell as the parts are all the same as the 6501.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back