Why do the Files sizes always increase

F.I.ImGoingFishing

I am not a pre-press person but need an understanding of a frequent problem encountered from every Graphic's person our company hires.

When a clients Ad Agency sends us a PDF file that is lets say 4.5mb that prints fine and then later wants us to make a minor type change. Our new files size increases x10 or more to 55mb and graphics can not seem to explain why. or correct the issue without downgrading the resolution noticably. These are files with no type issues, no outlines. the only variance may be original creation in Indesign vs Illustrator or CS5 vs CS6.

OK, original supplied file is a PDF. Client asks you to do changes to that PDF. How do you do it (what software do you use to edit the PDF)? What format is your new x10 size file? A PDF?

I don't know WHY it does it, but if you do a "Save As" instead of just a "Save", it usually brings it back down close to its original size.

Erik

Oh boy, opening the PDF in Illustrator (given that it wasn't created by Illustrator) could bring the wrath of some Adobe experts down on you :) since Illustrator is not a PDF editor. For the size increase matter, it all depends on the PDF export setting used to create the new PDF from Illustrator. There are a lot of variables involved that can alter the file size. Just as an example, if zip compression is used in the new PDF instead of JPEG in the original file, that alone could increase your file size. And that's the kind of compression used by default in the "Illustrator default" PDF setting.

Last edited:
That explains a lot, Illustrator is not a pdf editor and this can result in bigger files if you change a PDF in this way. Not only that, it also could be you will get unexpected results after editing the file in Illustrator this way.
The right way to edit pdf files is to do it in a pdf editor (like Acrobat Professional or Neo).
You could also ask for the original live files if you need to edit them, that is the only and best way to do changes to a file anyway.

thanks, I will pass this information along but I have doubts that it will be heeded.
Unfortunatly I have no say with graphics other than my complaints about file sizes that I must deal with in terms of storage and RIP.
Hard enough to get them to understand that there are standards that need to be followed for things to even print properly on outdated equipment. Docu-color 250 with cws 4 and no graphics programs other the xerox version of Impose.
(our Graphics is quasi-freelanced and not contected to the printing department)

When you save as PDF out of Illustrator you will have the option of Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities. Enabling this will save a copy of the Illustrator file within the PDF causing the file to be larger. I agree with previous posts that Illustrator should not be used to edit PDFs.

When you save as PDF out of Illustrator you will have the option of Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities. Enabling this will save a copy of the Illustrator file within the PDF causing the file to be larger.

Ta-da! Bean wins. You get yourself a two-fer - two files for the price of one.

The compression settings you choose can radically change file size, too.

Oh boy, opening the PDF in Illustrator (given that it wasn't created by Illustrator) could bring the wrath of some Adobe experts down on you :) since Illustrator is not a PDF editor. ......

I always used Illustrator for editing pdfs but I am no expert in the matter. So what do you guys use? Are there other options besides Acrobat Professional?

PDF files can sometimes benefit from a "save as" to remove crud. The same for InDesign and PageMaker files, a save as can often remove out garbage.

Further, it can be amazing how much "extra" data can be removed from a "print ready" PDF file using Acrobat Pro PDF optimiser, even if one is not flattening, compressing or resampling images.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I always used Illustrator for editing pdfs but I am no expert in the matter. So what do you guys use? Are there other options besides Acrobat Professional?

We don't edit pdf files, we always work from the original files (native Illustrator and Photoshop).

You can always open the file in Acrobat and select "Reduce file size". That "almost" always helps to make the file a smaller size because it flattens the image, etc.

I've edited some PDFs in Illustrator, and it's not always peaches and roses. But sometimes it can work. It's best to use Pitstop Pro or Acrobat Pro, however. My favorite is to have the original designer fix their own mistake and resend a new PDF...yeah, right. :)

This, generally, will not yield a file that is appropriate for print.

Agreed Rich, the "Reduce File Size" is not the best option for print based work.

The Acrobat Pro PDF optimiser offers a lot of control and even if one is not flattening, compressing or resampling images - one can make often make file size savings in print ready files (without reducing print quality).

Stephen Marsh

Really? I wasn't aware the the "Reduce File Size" is not a good option for print. I'm glad I made that statement so I could learn that. Why is that?

Really? I wasn't aware the the "Reduce File Size" is not a good option for print. I'm glad I made that statement so I could learn that. Why is that?

It applies heavy lossy JPEG compression and resamples the image content to a smaller resolution (total pixel count) - without any user control.

The print production - pdf optimizer tool offers full control for the operator to make the call on these and many other variables.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back