Why is it so tough to find a print business that would custom print bulk orders?

bei337

Hi guys,

I run a software company that sends clients business cards and business card sized stickers. I've been calling a bunch of places to ask about printing and shipping our orders. So basically I'm looking to print 10 to 20 orders a week, each order consists of 1000 cards and 50 stickers. I either got a place that could print the cards quite cheap ($17 for 1000) but the stickers are really expensive, or the other way around. Is it possible to find a place to do this for under $30 shipped, knowing that there will be continuous weekly orders? Would any of you be able to help me out?

It's probably because the quantity of stickers is so much smaller than the quantity of business cards... the unit price will naturally be greater.

But $17 for 1000 bcards is seriously cheap... is this after ganging the cards up? (Printing all 10+ of your orders on one sheet.)

The $17 for 1000 is from GotPrint. They are the cheapest I've found online. Since these cards are one-time use, so quality is not the priority, even though their quality isn't bad either.

Hi guys,

I run a software company that sends clients business cards and business card sized stickers. I've been calling a bunch of places to ask about printing and shipping our orders. So basically I'm looking to print 10 to 20 orders a week, each order consists of 1000 cards and 50 stickers. I either got a place that could print the cards quite cheap ($17 for 1000) but the stickers are really expensive, or the other way around. Is it possible to find a place to do this for under $30 shipped, knowing that there will be continuous weekly orders? Would any of you be able to help me out?
Just look look for a printer that's ok with "continuously losing money"

Just saying

What's more expensive here? The 1000 cards or the 50 stickers? The stickers are just regular business card sized stickers with a gloss/semi-gloss coat. And if $30 is too low for both, what's a reasonable price?

What's more expensive here? The 1000 cards or the 50 stickers? The stickers are just regular business card sized stickers with a gloss/semi-gloss coat. And if $30 is too low for both, what's a reasonable price?

Generally, the stickers will be more expensive.

It will be difficult for any shop to ship 1000 business cards and 50 stickers for $30 and break even.

Can you tell us what the use case is and how the cards and stickers tie in to each other?

Generally, the stickers will be more expensive.

It will be difficult for any shop to ship 1000 business cards and 50 stickers for $30 and break even.

Can you tell us what the use case is and how the cards and stickers tie in to each other?

That's reasonable. I'm also looking at an alternative to the stickers, and I'm ok with 500 business cards.

My software company serves restaurants. We provide them with business cards with QR code, and the customers can scan the QR code after their meal to leave the restaurant owner their feedback. The sticker is just an alternative to the business cards, because some restaurants like to put stickers on the bill presenters (the black American Express bill fold you usually see at a restaurant) to cut down the recurring cost of the business cards.

What do you think is a fair price for 500 business cards (these don't have to be high quality, as they are one-time use) and 50 stickers?

That's reasonable. I'm also looking at an alternative to the stickers, and I'm ok with 500 business cards.

My software company serves restaurants. We provide them with business cards with QR code, and the customers can scan the QR code after their meal to leave the restaurant owner their feedback. The sticker is just an alternative to the business cards, because some restaurants like to put stickers on the bill presenters (the black American Express bill fold you usually see at a restaurant) to cut down the recurring cost of the business cards.

What do you think is a fair price for 500 business cards (these don't have to be high quality, as they are one-time use) and 50 stickers?

Less than $30 (not shipped) is doable if you keep everything simple. Black/White, no bleeds.

I think any copy shop could handle this for you if you present it right. You could do this yourself with a high end B/W laser printer, a business card slitter, card stock, and blank label sheets.

Provided a press-ready PDF for both the business card and the label, this is how I'd quote it...

Price before shipping:
500 B/W 1-side Business Cards + 50 B/W 3.5"x2" Semi-gloss Crack-and-Peel Labels = $18.00
1,000 B/W 1-side Business Cards + 50 B/W 3.5"x2" Semi-gloss Crack-and-Peel Labels = $24.00

Good luck!

Less than $30 (not shipped) is doable if you keep everything simple. Black/White, no bleeds.

I think any copy shop could handle this for you if you present it right. You could do this yourself with a high end B/W laser printer, a business card slitter, card stock, and blank label sheets.

Provided a press-ready PDF for both the business card and the label, this is how I'd quote it...

Price before shipping:
500 B/W 1-side Business Cards + 50 B/W 3.5"x2" Semi-gloss Crack-and-Peel Labels = $18.00
1,000 B/W 1-side Business Cards + 50 B/W 3.5"x2" Semi-gloss Crack-and-Peel Labels = $24.00

Good luck!

How about for color?

Wow, people actually wanting to quote this type of work!!

This job would require 3 touch points for my operation. Dropping file into hot folder, picking up paper from end of printer and inserting into slitter/cutter, picking up from slitter output to box and ship. My direct cost plus a burden rate would put me under the $30/order.

Price before shipping:

Good luck!

I'm having trouble posting a new thread, so I'll say this.

Lithography Needs People like Erik Nikkanen - No Doubt About It

We need people like him who are constant thinkers and looking for better improved ways.

I respect him 100%.

Just a point to know.

D Ink Man

Same reason its so tough to find a gas station that sells gas for $2.00 a gallon . . . lol

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back