Window envelope printing

printing656

Hello,
Wondering if there's anything out there that is capable of printing on standard #10 window envelopes (not special windows that are laser safe) that is faster, equal to or better in quality, and cheaper to run than a Memjet technology filled Rena Mach 5/ Astrojet/ Colordyne/ Formax color envelope printer? The printing we do is full color, CMYK, in runs of 1,000 - 75,000 envelopes at a time. I'm not looking to spend 6 figures on an offset press as we don't have the volume of long runs to justify a iron like that.

Quick answer: there is nothing available between the Xante/Oki/Memjet solution and a six figure investment (Kirk-Rudy KolorJet or W+D – both inkjet)

We are going through the same exercise right now. Haven't seen a demo yet but looking at a riso comcolor with a kirk rudy feeder. Hoping the quality matches or betters our formax.
Found an older youtube video yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGslUMytV6w

Anybody have experience with these?

I've got a comcolor 9050R, about 5 years old. Resolution is not the greatest. My customers are split on whether the quality is acceptable. I don't have the envelope feeder, but would sure want one if I had to run 75M envelopes.

I've just completed reviewing the 7110/7150 same as the faster 9110/9150 and would have to say the quality is really bad. These models were the only ones with dedicated envelope feeders and conveyor stackers. I gave them 2 files to test. With the test stock, I included samples from the Memjet. What they sent back to me looked terrible. The consumable pricing is sweet, but the quality isn't. They refer to it as good enough color but their samples make the Memjet look like an offset press!
I've also looked at the new PSI 7000 but the consumables were about 30% higher, prints slower, and requires a modified envelope window.

What I can't understand is why the Memjet technology has stood still for 5 years with these envelope printers. We bought ours 5 years ago, and the technician just told me it's identical to a new one coming off the shelf today. There's so much room for improvement, I just don't get it.

Totally agree about the Rena / Formax / memjet. Can't believe they haven't made any efforts to improve them. I've been fighting with mine for 3+ years now and have had enough. Worse than the printer issues are the people in tech support seem to know a lot less than I do about them.

Also, I can't imagine how bad the riso quality must look if it makes the memjet look like offset. Thanks for the input though.... I guess the search for an envelope solution continues.

Nothing in between we have neopost same as Rena mach 5. If you select high quality you can produce nice work, slows it down but fine for shorter runs, the rip software helps color. It is not for every job. We print on our two color press for some jobs. Or flat and convert envelopes on larger runs or critical color work full color.

Nothing will abate the smearing of aqueous based ink. If anything, the Relyco might make the issue worse as the coating doesn't allow the ink to be absorbed as deeply into the paper fibers. Western States Envelope make a #10 Memjet envelope a well. As with the Relyco, too expensive to merit the bump in color saturation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back