Without sounding stupid...

gig0

does UCR/GCR matter in the digital printing world? LOL

Sorry, I had to ask, being new to this end. A rep told me no.

Knowing theres all this knowledge here, I just want to be sure, heh.

does UCR/GCR matter in the digital printing world? LOL

Sorry, I had to ask, being new to this end. A rep told me no.

Knowing theres all this knowledge here, I just want to be sure, heh.

GCR/UCR is important in that you need to know what it is and how it can effect color output. Again the answer is "It Depends" on how critical your customers are.

Often I've found that many customers know NOTHING about color excpet they like the way they look.

I agree on the "it depends" but does it really matter in digital printing? I have no idea how much the CMY ink costs in this arena. Is the ROI expectations the same in digital as they are in offset? I have no clue.

If there's a significant cost savings, I would be more than happy to dig deeper. I just haven't heard much about it when it comes to digital workflows.

I agree on the "it depends" but does it really matter in digital printing? I have no idea how much the CMY ink costs in this arena. Is the ROI expectations the same in digital as they are in offset? I have no clue.

If there's a significant cost savings, I would be more than happy to dig deeper. I just haven't heard much about it when it comes to digital workflows.

I think the difference is more image quality then ink/toner cost.

Remember in the digital world most service contracts are toner inclusive.

I think the difference is more image quality then ink/toner cost.

Correct. There is often a reseparation happening within the digital printer's RIP to optimize the separation for that device's mechanical and colorant constraints rather than reducing ink/toner usage to reduce costs.

gordon p

Last edited:
The fiery has a simulation method that allows you to chose between the black channel being processed with the file or not. Also the newer RIPS give you the option of processing some elements with equal values as black rather than rich black. Although this does have a habit of converting something like a gradation to black rather than rich black half way through.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back