Xante Ilumina Digital Envelope Press

kglosser

I'd like to compliment Xante on this product. It is simple, relatively inexpensive and definitely fills a niche in digital printing. I received a great demo from some very passionate people at Xante.

While I am making these comments as a reseller, I want everyone to understand that this is something special and worthy of serious consideration.

There is no doubt that there is a need for a machine with this capability. My concern is the price per print, regardless of what is stated in their advertising. Also, I would like to test drive one to determine it's Achilles heel. Also this machine seems a bit over priced, to the tune of about $4,000 to $5,000 in my opinion. I think I'd gamble $16,000 for this machine, but not $20,000+.

We have the Ilumina and it prints envelopes really well, but we can only use the multipurpose tray, which holds not much more than 25 to 50 envelopes at a time. I agree that the Ilumina Envelope press is overpriced; unfortunately until another alternative comes to the marketplace for printing envelopes on toner based devices which holds 500 #10 envelopes with the envelope feeder and has a delivery conveyor belt stacker, Xante will be able to charge $20,000+.

Digital envelopes

Digital envelopes

I've had an ilumina for the past 3 years and like JaimeZ it does envelopes very well but only a small handful at a time- so I don't do more than a couple hundred for any one order. I have been looking at new machines for over a year now and decided to consider getting their envelope press or "Production 502" that they just released. My dealer told me that they are holding the price at $15,000 for another month and I agree with OutSourceD- even that is kinda steep, especially when you consider the operating costs. Speaking of operating cost, if my cost-per-page calculator is correct; I think 1.5 cents for a full color envelope is based on 2% coverage.

JaimeZ, I believe there is a company called PSI Engineering that makes a toner-based envelope press- Laser Envelope Printer | High Quality Envelope Printing | PSI

I don't think there is a huge demand for full color envelopes. Most people want cheap one color and are willing to wait for it. But if they need them fast and want to pay for it, then the Ilumina has a market. Which is the market I'm trying to go after, I guess.

Keith

P.S. JaimeZ, I would like to talk to you sometime. Ilumina owner to Ilumina owner. How would we go about that off the forum (I don't know the rules concerning posting phone numbers or emails).

My Experience

My Experience

I evaluated both the Xante and the PSI and went with the PSI.

Primary reason? Continuous feeder - will pay for itself in a couple months in saved time. Also, at the time of my evaluation, all Xanate offered was a crude collection box on the output end - a belt delivery is essential.

Operational cost? - nothing less than .03 cents per envelope. The toner life will actually far exceed your expectations, but the imaging drums is where the real costs lies.

Have to note that both these 'manufacturers' lock you into their consumables with proprietary RFID chips and fuses.

Xanate makes major hardware and software modifications to the Okidata 9650 engine - PSI makes none. By my experience, the the untouched printer is more then adequate for pleasing color and even handles close PMS output.

I own 2 Phaser 7760's, Xerox's highest-end printers, and the Okidata runs circles around them for color accuracy and consistency. (Xerox markets the Okidata 9650 as the Phaser 7400).

You are saying that the PSI does envelopes? What manufacturer is that? Where can we buy one and how much are they? Thanks in advance.

PSI is in Canda, and they manufacture and modify a few other machines for packaging and material handling. I went there about 1.5 years ago when they were even less unknown.

The Xante now has a belt delivery. I agree the feeder and delivery on the original unit never made much since. Though the Xante can do 60 #10's to 50 on the PSI.

Both machines were at the last Graph Expo but somehow Xante got all the attention for a prototype machine over one that was available for sale.

Envelope Printers

Envelope Printers

I evaluated both the Xante and the PSI and went with the PSI.

Primary reason? Continuous feeder - will pay for itself in a couple months in saved time. Also, at the time of my evaluation, all Xanate offered was a crude collection box on the output end - a belt delivery is essential.

Operational cost? - nothing less than .03 cents per envelope. The toner life will actually far exceed your expectations, but the imaging drums is where the real costs lies.

Have to note that both these 'manufacturers' lock you into their consumables with proprietary RFID chips and fuses.

Xanate makes major hardware and software modifications to the Okidata 9650 engine - PSI makes none. By my experience, the the untouched printer is more then adequate for pleasing color and even handles close PMS output.

I own 2 Phaser 7760's, Xerox's highest-end printers, and the Okidata runs circles around them for color accuracy and consistency. (Xerox markets the Okidata 9650 as the Phaser 7400).

Has anyone tried just using the Okidate 9650 for short run envelope work?

Works great, but only 50 or so envelopes in the bypass tray at a time. Due to the design, you can't continuously add to the stack. Slow going.

If you want to go this manual route, look at the the Ricoh 420 - less expensive.

Can an envelope feeder be added to the 9650.

How does the quality compare on the Ricoh 420.

Do you know of any other options besides the Xante and PSI Envelope printers

Can an envelope feeder be added to the 9650?
No...not from from Okidata or any secondary supplier.

How does the quality compare on the Ricoh 420?

Ricoh has two 'speeds' - the slow speed (13 per minute) matches the Oki...but the Oki is around 50 per minute at full quality. The Ricoh can max 27 per minute at a lower dpi (600 x600, I believe). No feeder available either - just 50 or so at a time.

Do you know of any other options besides the Xante and PSI Envelope printers?
No. Both of these companies have their pluses and minuses. Xante has a larger presence in the market and can offer better service - PSI service is extremely poor. But the PSI has continuous feed. Cranking the Xante feeder up and down is a real productivity killer. With the PSI you can queue up a dozen jobs and never have to stop to fill up with stock.

Remember, both Xante and PSI lock you into their toner (you can purchase Oki branded drums, fusers, and belts, however)

BTW, the Xerox 7400 is a re-branded Oki 9650...also with proprietary consumables, both drums and toner. No feeder available.

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks much better than my PSI - no tray modification necessary and no proprietary consumables. Construction looks much more robust than the PSI as well. Might work with other printers provided they have a straight paper path.

Buy an off the shelf and you are good to go. Wish this was available 6 months ago!

Genererly, Yes

Genererly, Yes

You may have to select a higher fuser temperature by running the printer slower if you know for a fact that they will go back through a printer. In general, not much of a problem if the customer's desktop printer is black toner, but can be problematic if color (runs hotter).

BTY, larger envelopes must be run at a slower speed to avoid toner flaking. Those claimed speeds of 50-60 a minute are for 24 lb. #10 or smaller only; 9 x12" are more like 25-30 a minute.

Dave

I would not recommend it as I printed letter head for a customer using the Okidata and the image transfered several time down the sheet. I had to print it on a Konica C500 to get it to work ok.

Xante Ilumina don't buy!

Xante Ilumina don't buy!

Save your money and by directly from Okidata the 9650 or the 3641 then purchase the Straight Shooter for feeding envelopes and postcard stock. Overall cost would be around $10,000.00

Can an envelope feeder be added to the 9650?
No...not from from Okidata or any secondary supplier.

How does the quality compare on the Ricoh 420?

Ricoh has two 'speeds' - the slow speed (13 per minute) matches the Oki...but the Oki is around 50 per minute at full quality. The Ricoh can max 27 per minute at a lower dpi (600 x600, I believe). No feeder available either - just 50 or so at a time.

Do you know of any other options besides the Xante and PSI Envelope printers?
No. Both of these companies have their pluses and minuses. Xante has a larger presence in the market and can offer better service - PSI service is extremely poor. But the PSI has continuous feed. Cranking the Xante feeder up and down is a real productivity killer. With the PSI you can queue up a dozen jobs and never have to stop to fill up with stock.

Remember, both Xante and PSI lock you into their toner (you can purchase Oki branded drums, fusers, and belts, however)

BTW, the Xerox 7400 is a re-branded Oki 9650...also with proprietary consumables, both drums and toner. No feeder available.

The envelope feeder that works is the Straight shooter LH-12, I bought the Pineberry one didn't work and I have seen the PSI at another shop and they have problems so does Xante but the Straight shooter is the one to buy damn it works good.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back