Xerox 1000i installed!

Just don't make the mistake of buying on your current volume Command-P. Talk to your techs. That may be pushing the 2100, month to month.

Just don't make the mistake of buying on your current volume Command-P. Talk to your techs. That may be pushing the 2100, month to month.

From our experience, at least in the past 3 years, the machines seem to run very reliably, even when going over the monthly volume. Our C75, running 120K, mostly 13x19 sheets, per month, sees service every 6 weeks on average. Our 2100, running about the same volume, goes many months without needing service. Though quirks are another story, as the 2100 has had more than a few, compared to the C75.

Agree that the machines run much better when they are not sitting idle, but at the same point you don't want a single machine to run at it's max print volume each month. You would be better off with 2 smaller machines or a slightly larger to accommodate future growth. Or a business plan to accommodate a second machine a year or two down the line. Maxing out a single machine and praying for no downtime is not healthy on your liver!

Agree that the machines run much better when they are not sitting idle, but at the same point you don't want a single machine to run at it's max print volume each month. You would be better off with 2 smaller machines or a slightly larger to accommodate future growth. Or a business plan to accommodate a second machine a year or two down the line. Maxing out a single machine and praying for no downtime is not healthy on your liver!

There is a lot to be said for having two machines. It may even be more cost effective than one, depending on the models.

Thanks guys, something for me to think about, I can see clicks growing to 200k+ over the next 6 months

Yeah, I think if you can project those numbers in just 6 months, you need to go a different route than a single 2100, or at least have a near future plan to add another printer. With 100k clicks a month, a single Versant would work in that range. Up to 150k and your pushing it each month, which means more down time. And this wouldn't even be for random problems that always seem to happen. It's normal wear and tear a lot quicker than expected (pressure roller, feed rollers, ect).

2 Versant 80's would be good for your volume right now, plus is a redundant system. But 2 80's doesn't really give you much room to grow to 200k a month. That's 100k a month on each, and while they can probably handle it, I doubt xerox would be happy about it once problems start occurring.

Next you have a 2100 and an 80/J75. This would put you in a good spot for growth and would be less expensive than 2 2100's and more than 2 80's or j75's (obviously). 2 machines means more redundancy and speed over a single machine.

Last option would be a 1000. Rated for 400k a month, but it's not anything uncommon for people to put 600-700k on them. Duty cycle (a mostly useless number) of close to 2 million clicks. These things are beast. Load them up and watch them churn out the sheets. They're built for production and love running. Ive had a handful of jams over the last 500k clicks. Parts replaced over that time are 1 drum, 2 fuser belts (we run mainly 11x17 so we get bad lines after so long when we run larger sheets) a pressure roller, and 1 trays feed Rollers. Other than that it's been a a wonderful machine.

Last option would be a 1000. Rated for 400k a month, but it's not anything uncommon for people to put 600-700k on them. Duty cycle (a mostly useless number) of close to 2 million clicks. These things are beast. Load them up and watch them churn out the sheets. They're built for production and love running. Ive had a handful of jams over the last 500k clicks. Parts replaced over that time are 1 drum, 2 fuser belts (we run mainly 11x17 so we get bad lines after so long when we run larger sheets) a pressure roller, and 1 trays feed Rollers. Other than that it's been a a wonderful machine.
'

Had a look at the 1000i today, running the low gloss toner which is comparable to the 2100. I like the low gloss toner

Ricoh have come in hot, 25% less for a fully configured 9110 vs the 1000i - gives me more to think about.

Where did you see the low gloss toner? I was told it was only in Japan and New Zealand.

Well we run around 150K SRA3 a month on our versant and have done so in the 11 or so months we've had it. We do have 2 other production machines, so it's not the end of the world if it breaks. It doesn't break much though, we see a tech maybe once a month including scheduled maintenance. The productivity functionality does pretty much exactly what was promised. Which is a first time experience for me in 13 years of buying digital presses! I can't really understand yet why I'd want a 1000i as I don't see how it could print any more than a 2100 with our shift pattern (7:30am to 6pm, 5 days a week). I guess you could get more than 150K a month if you were either doing longer jobs (we do a mix of short and longer jobs), or ran more hours, or were just running the same types of jobs, same stock etc, all day (assuming of course that the 2100 would start to have a higher level of failures). Otherwise, why would I pay a lot more when it's just coming out of my pocket? I am mildly interested in the 5th colour, so will be having a demo of that, but otherwise I can see myself just buying another 2100 shortly. Thinking about it, there have been a couple of months where we've pushed 200K a month on the versant and it worked fine. We do tightly control temperature and humidity, so I guess our 2100 is kept in pretty near "ideal" conditions.

I'm also not yet seeing the point of the Ricoh. In the UK the 7110 is more expensive than the 2100, costs about the same to run and is 10% slower. The automation / productivity also seems a generation behind the 2100. On the plus side, it does print nicely and the output on heavily textured paper was particularly impressive. I'm waiting on a proposal for a 9110 which will apparently "eat" our current volume without breaking a sweat. I'm yet to be convinced!

It really seems as though Xerox have their mojo back with the current generation of machines (iGen aside). It's a really nice change from all the crap Konica put us through the last few years.

Thought I would give an update on our machine. This thing is a straight workhorse. We have almost 1 million clicks on the machine right now and it seems like the last 400k have been absolutely trouble free. I am very impressed with the registration on this machine. Generally if I pop in a new stock, it will register as good as most machines will without being calibrated. When I use the full width array to auto register, it is spot on perfect, pretty much sheet to sheet over very long runs. I have been very impressed with this machine and am totally satisfied with it. Service has been wonderful, and its actually pretty easy to work on yourself when you start to understand the machine. Would recommend this machine to anyone who needs durability, consistency, and quality.

We are very happy with our (2) 1000's that we have had for just over a year with over 4,300,000 12x18 impressions between them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back