Xerox 3100 VS KM 6100

On all digital presses you get some productivity hit (slow down, IQ adjustments, internal process control stuff) when you do a tray switch or unload after a stop, anything that stops or slows a press (not just a Versant all presses, and we work in engineering to minimize - and why a Versant has the best mixed media results - despite what other say here on this site, I have test facts on competitive print speed) - so depending on the run size continuous run could be your most efficient as this feeder has a chute feeder (drop and go), so when you see it getting low you drop in another stack so the press does not stop. Now the downside when you go out of the MSI or ByPass (and why it is called a by pass, as you are by passing all of the good stuff in the standard tray - speed, blower, heater, registration, etc) it runs at a bit of a slower print speed to compensate. But, for customers that are doing thousands of envelopes - they are telling me this is more efficient and better for them. Some Versant in shopes just run envelopes all day long. The customer that tested this product did the write-up with me, here is his view https://digitalprinting.blogs.xerox.com/2018/12/13/print-short-run-four-color-envelopes/ . The cost is about $9,500 for the feeder, and about $5,500 for the conveyor. You don't need it on a Versant you can run envelopes out of the MSI/By-Pass, or any of the Oversized feeders (loading up to 4 trays - we also have this extra kit so you can stack a little higher in those trays https://youtu.be/drOZdbdoH7s - gets pile height "more level") so it is about what works best, and is most effective (time, run, and cost wise). Hope this helps. Regards, Brian

I've talked to Brian a few times in person and have also seen him using this machine at the GraphExpo last year - it seems pretty damn solid. There was even a printer who was nearby that indicated he was the alpha/beta tester for this machine and I believe partially engineered it with Xerox. I think we'll see some substantial improvements in this device in the next Versant series release, akin to it being fully integrated into the machine instead of it being separate, like an either/or option like the 2 OHCF + envelope feeder or 2 OHCF + bypass. We have spot color offset presses and an inkjetter here so we don't necessarily worry about running envelopes on the Versant unless it's full color under 500 (static or variable). However if we had to all of a sudden print envelopes on another machine I wouldn't hesitate to switch to purchasing the envelope feeder on the Versant.

On all digital presses you get some productivity hit (slow down, IQ adjustments, internal process control stuff) when you do a tray switch or unload after a stop, anything that stops or slows a press (not just a Versant all presses, and we work in engineering to minimize - and why a Versant has the best mixed media results - despite what other say here on this site, I have test facts on competitive print speed) - so depending on the run size continuous run could be your most efficient as this feeder has a chute feeder (drop and go), so when you see it getting low you drop in another stack so the press does not stop. Now the downside when you go out of the MSI or ByPass (and why it is called a by pass, as you are by passing all of the good stuff in the standard tray - speed, blower, heater, registration, etc) it runs at a bit of a slower print speed to compensate. But, for customers that are doing thousands of envelopes - they are telling me this is more efficient and better for them. Some Versant in shopes just run envelopes all day long. The customer that tested this product did the write-up with me, here is his view https://digitalprinting.blogs.xerox.com/2018/12/13/print-short-run-four-color-envelopes/ . The cost is about $9,500 for the feeder, and about $5,500 for the conveyor. You don't need it on a Versant you can run envelopes out of the MSI/By-Pass, or any of the Oversized feeders (loading up to 4 trays - we also have this extra kit so you can stack a little higher in those trays https://youtu.be/drOZdbdoH7s - gets pile height "more level") so it is about what works best, and is most effective (time, run, and cost wise). Hope this helps. Regards, Brian

Hi Brian - where are these available from?

Hi Brian - where are these available from?

Craig, I sent you (I think did, but I never used the chat feature on this site - a private chat message) my email. I can send you what I have. Keep in mind it is 'marketing' but as it is done by a 3rd party so some good things to consider or at least be aware. Always good to make an informed decision when buying anything.

I am not so sure the time saving when switching between trays would really be noticeable. If there is a gap between switching I rarely notice it. Our 2100 has some quirky behaviour, not sure if others do this. I will have both high cap trays filled with #10 envelopes. Instead of using all the envelopes from tray 6 and then moving to 7 it will print some from 6, then move to 7, then back to 6. I noticed this once because both trays ran out at once and I was not sure why. Then watching it I would see the light switching trays while one tray was still half full. Some software bug I am sure. That being said it was only noticeable when I was watching, it never stood out that it was changing trays before it was empty, it just kept the envelopes going. I certainly see a convince of being able to top load, for us the price tag is just to high and would take a very long time to make that back especially when the current system works so well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back