Xerox 700 fuser temperature

jotterpinky

Is there some sort of adjustment we can make to the fuser temperature of the Xerox 700? We're running our standard 80# cover stock at the 220gsm coated setting and it's not quite fusing. We're having to jump up two settings to the 300gsm setting to get it to fuse correctly, it seems to be worse on the outboard side of the machine. We ran several hundred prints and noticed the second side imaged was not getting fused correctly. It looks okay but as soon as you run your hand over it the fuser brushes off. We're running the same stock on a second Xerox 700 with the same settings with no problem. I'm wondering if the temperature or pressure settings have been changed on the machine having trouble.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, BUT if you make a Custom Paper Profile you can change the Image Transfer.
My tech could not explain exactly what it did to the machine but

To make a Custom Paper "Profile", first log in, press Machine Status, Chose the tool tab, Paper tray setting,
Custom Paper Settings.

Chose a custom paper Setting entry, name it properly and change the "Adjust Image Transfer" you will have to test it out on your paper. range goes from 50 to 150, good luck.

We've had a similar problem to this and lied to the machine saying it was a higher GSM paper. But on yours you said it was fine on one side but not the other. So I'm at a loss for you.

"Image transfer" adjusts the voltage (bias) on either the first or second BTR on the machine, this allows you to adjust somewhat for mottle but doesn't go far enough. We took our machine down to 50% (whatever that means) and it kept getting better, however 50% is as low as you can go so even though we could see it getting better with lower settings we couldn't go low enough. Xerox...gotta love em.

On a sidenote we just got a Konica 6000 in the shop and we can adjust transfer settings, as well as fuser settings to some degree. It really makes a difference when you have a good operator, the presets are fine for a good amount of work but sometimes...

One time we had problems with 300 GSM fusing and they altered a fuser at XEROX for us just for 300 GSM.

You need to change some NVMs for the latch positions.
For
Uncoated 177-256 and Uncoated 257-300 - 744-699 must be 46 range is 10~49
Coated 177-220 and Coated side2 177-220 - 744-700 must be 43 range is 10~49
Coated 221-300 and Coated side2 221-300 - 744-701 must be 46 10~49

Lower the value by 3 points till fusing is good enough. Don't go too much cause you will have edge to center gloss difference.

If the value is 10, fuser performance is same as Non-half latch fuser.
Larger value means lower nip pressure(fix level down/Side Gloss less).
Smaller value means higher nip pressure(fix level up/Side Gloss worse)

"Image transfer" can be lowered even more than this 50%. Your Xerox tech can change the reference point for your 100%.
Tell him to go his EDOC and find IQ19 Mottle RAP. Copy from it:
"Fine-tune the 2nd BTR transfer bias for a specific problem paper by varying the secondary transfer remote for that paper. Go to Xerox 700DCP NVM Access/SW Download Tool NVM 746-012 thru 746-041 and manually change the 2nd Transfer Output Coefficient Value Up or Down for the Paper Weight, Paper Type, etc. Initial Value = 120 and Max Value = 200."
Good luck!

Last edited:
Have you tried the NVM Read/Write?? If not it helps when Im having image transfer problems.

Machine Status (button)
Tools
Common Service Settings
Maintenance
NVW Read/Write
In The Current Value ( 740 - 043 )
Confirm/Change
In The New Value put in 1
Save

My tech gave me this little tip, and it will spit out more toner and cause a longer fusing time. Was how he explained it. Just make sure you turn it back to the original settings or else you will be using alot more toner then you really need too! Hope that helps.

740 - 043 to 1
This will activate "fuser gloss mode" for paper 177gsm and upper.
CanarcticPress Your tech is wrong, by activating it, actually you reduce the 2nd transfer 100% to 70% and by this less toner is laid on paper.
Fuser temp is increased by 17 degrees .
"machine speed" for 177gsm and upper paper weights is reduced.
In case of designating “Heavyweight Paper Mode” during B/W mode, IOT will run in FC
mode.
This is a very common mistake from techs, this is not a fix for non-fusing issues. This is a workaround.
Apply the settings that I wrote you and all problems will be solved.

We do use the 74-043 NVM value to print more solid blacks when printing only black and white and to reduce mottle. Depending on the stock though, for instance a 12pt C2S sheet with a "reflex blue" color it makes the mottle worse.

to kalindd: I appreciate your post and it looks like these are kind of what i'm looking for, however when entering the "maintenance" menu and the "nvm read/write" option it won't allow me to change those NVM values you gave...gives an error something to the effect "the selected NVM cannot be read at the moment". Am I doing something wrong? It works fine for the 74-043 setting still.

In addition to this what do you mean regarding the "latch" and "half-latch" etc, position of the fuser. Does the machine actually increase pressure inside the fuser, from reading other posts it sounds as though a "half-latch fuser" is a physically different fuser than the regular ones.

As for the change to the image transfer settings changed by the tech I'll mention this to him next time he comes by. Thanks again.

The NVMs that I've provided to you can't be changed from admin mode, you can change them ONLY from service mode. Ask your tech or try it by your self (it won't hurt).
Hold "0" five secs and then while holding it press "start" you will be asked for pass. enter "6789" then go to machine status and tools, scroll down to maintenance, select NVMrw. You can now access those nvm's.
Unless your IOT sofware version is lower then 54.40. if it is lower you need to upgrade it.

"half-latch fuser" is different in one way from the old type fuser so called "full latch".
Fuji added one way clutch to the pressure mechanism inside the fuser. So now they can control the cam position inside the fuser more precisely, by this machine can change the pressure according to paper you use. This is why you have non fused prints on heavy weights, the factory nvms are for Xerox paper or something else that can happen is, if your tech has done NVM initialization, this can "erase" the proper nvms.
The hardware change was done 2 years ago . So I don't think that there are some of the old type left in stock. But about 8 months ago they find a problem in the design, and again they improved it by adding a larger "shin" into the fuser.
Anyway change the NVMs and your problem will be solved.
I had the same problems like yours with three 700DCP and those nvm's were provide from fuji for "non fusing issiues".
But keep in mind the you may have defective fuser. So it worth a shot to try t with diffirent.
Good luck.
(English is not my native so I hope I'm doing fine)

Last edited:
kalindad,

this worked perfectly. I lowered it by 3 and it fused beautifully, the print seems a tad bit darker but is easily adjusted in the RIP. Another side-note to this is that apparently the higher nip pressure also minimizes the gloss differential we had on this particular fuser at the 12" width, something that we keep a second fuser around for larger stocks since it has wear lines from the different paper sizes. I'm sure it's temporary until you put new wear lines in at the higher pressure but in a pinch it might work.

Do you recommend we change it back to the default for the majority of work or just on that stubborn stock? I can see some other uses for it, one which we just ran on a linen type paper that we were having trouble getting to fuse good in the "grooves" of the paper, the higher pressure fused it fine and gave a better image.

So from my understanding this only changes the nip pressure, not the fuser temp?

Last edited:
No don't change it.
Yes you are right it only changes the nip.
Like I wrote in my first post:
Larger value means lower nip pressure(fix level down/Side Gloss less).
Smaller value means higher nip pressure(fix level up/Side Gloss worse)

If you set it to 10 (Non half latch) for this linen type of paper, I think you will get even better results. But after the linen paper set it again to the old value. Give it a try.

Last edited:
It seems our issue was the stock. We found another one that works.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back