xerox 700 printing booklet with square fold trimmer

mojoprime

ok, i must be an idiot, and i've looked everywhere i could find -- xerox site, EFI, the documentation, the CED -- and i can't figure it out and i'm burning through paper like hell trying to guess my way through.

got a xerox 700 with light production finisher and square fold trimmer. got a 10-page booklet (11x17) that folds to 8 1/2 x 11. trying to print on 100lb gloss text (148 gsm) and fold, stitch and trim squarely. booklet has no bleeds and image area stops at .25".

between the settings for creep and the trim amount on the trimmer, i'm at a loss. i've tried increasing and decreasing the creep (started at 0.0833 and tried at 0.0625) and then tried to adjust the trim in both positive and negative increments of 1/2mm. what i get either prints off square or trims off the edge of the page. if i turn the trim off, i can get the pages to register fine but then i'm stuck with staggered edges.

i'm not a prepress guy -- we have this in-house -- so my knowledge of creep is really lacking. anybody have any pointers for a humble newb?

many thanks.

Generally speaking, and I can't address your finisher specifically since we don't have one, the number you enter into creep is the thickness of the media you are running i.e. .0049 or whatever. Ours mics at .0049, so you may wish to try .005 and see if that helps.

Because you have the square fold, even the inner most sheet is going to lose space to the fold. I would start with the creep at 0" and increase the gutter until the inner most page is correct. Then creep to fix the rest of the sheets.

it's mostly working, but i have to say that when printing with a coated sheet, the 700 is very picky on the trim. i have paper that i know is within spec both in weight and number of sheets, but trying to get the image square on the page and then trimmed correctly is insane. had to go down to 80# which is running better, but the spoilage has been high.

dont do that sort of work inline is the simple answer...inline slows the machine down to a snails pace, gives inaccurate results, etc

thanks, but it was sold to us on the condition of being able to do this type of work, and my tech says it will.

turns out, that by dropping the paper weight, it will do it. amazing. this thing is really, really picky about paper types and weights.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back