Xerox 770 Freeflow hard drive failure

Mickmeag

Hi All
One of my hard drives in the Xerox 770 freeflow RIP has failed. It won't allow me to re-install a backup. I don't have a service contract and Freeflow is almost unheard of here in Ireland.
I don't know anything about Solaris/Unix.
Does anyone know where I could get a replacement set of hard drives with Freeflow and solaris installed? Or do you have a better solution?
Thanks

how dead is the hard drive? hardware failure dead, or install corrupted dead?

if the drive isn't dead, you can try using a tool to copy the drive over to a new one and run an autorepair boot...but this is unlikely to work if the HDD really went kaput. i can help you a little with the commands, but you'll have to learn how to create a linux boot drive cd/usb and enter some commands that require a little critical thinking. (You'll have to run a command like "$ sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc")...but you have to be sure sdb is your source disk and sdc is your destination disk).

I agree a fiery is likely your easiest and best fix.

how dead is the hard drive? hardware failure dead, or install corrupted dead?

if the drive isn't dead, you can try using a tool to copy the drive over to a new one and run an autorepair boot...but this is unlikely to work if the HDD really went kaput. i can help you a little with the commands, but you'll have to learn how to create a linux boot drive cd/usb and enter some commands that require a little critical thinking. (You'll have to run a command like "$ sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc")...but you have to be sure sdb is your source disk and sdc is your destination disk).

I agree a fiery is likely your easiest and best fix.
The hard drive showed bad sectors and then asked for a unix password that wasn't needed before. I tried to clone to an SSD but it failed. Probably need a better disk copy utility.
Is it possible to install solaris and the freeflow on a new SSD? Do I need a new licence?
Thanks for your reply

asked for a unix password that wasn't needed before
i might be ignorant to the intricacies of a failing freeflow install - but this seems unusual to me. can you take a pic?

also, what was the error code with the previous clone that failed? it's likely that a clone will fail if your HDD is dying. one trick that has worked for me in the past is wrapping the hard drive in three or more zip lock bags (to be extra sure of airtightness) and freezing it overnight. then, after it's super cold, remove it from the packaging and try and run a clone ASAP.

the reason this works is hard drives have little arms that move around to read data. one reason they commonly fail is that these little arms crash into the discs the data is on. sometimes, freezing your hdd can help because the cold expands things and causes the arms to lift up and no longer crash...until they get warm again

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back