Xerox 800/1000 monthly volume

686shred

I am looking at getting the 1000 digital press - financially it will work well for us (in-house usage).

Monthly volume is projected to be between 400,000-600,000, however it can go as high as 1,000,000 per month.

The Xerox reps obviously state this is above the machines range and won't work and the iGen is the only way to go.

I am wondering what anyone's experience is with the 800/1000 and what is a realistic monthly volume that could be done and if I am truly out of range with 600k as an average. Not just "outside the recommended volume", but actually outside the machine's capability. The 300k the Xerox reps say it handles just seems low. The main problem with the iGen at this time is space, electrical and environmental set-up, though its not out of the question.

Just an FYI. If the CED for the 800/1000 states 300K (average monthly volume) and you are running double that month in and month out, your screwed if you have ANY complaints. Xerox WILL fall back on the CED and tell you that you are violating the agreement as to how you will be operating that machine. Your other option is to get multiple machines (maybe not Xerox) to spread the volume.

7 million impressions per year does seem high for this level of equipment. Maybe you need to review your expectations to find the piece (pieces) of equipment that will best fit your needs.

We ran our 700 four times what the CED said was the AMV and Xerox stood behind it 100%. We now have an 800 and we're averaging over the 300k and barely making a dent in the useage. If you run higher volumes you have to expect more service calls, but that's with any digital press. We did a cost analysis and it showed after 550k it was less expensive to go with the Igen, but you have to consider the space, electrical and environmental set-up and amoritize those costs also. We needed the Clear Option because a big percent of our business is ad agency/designer work.

What are you printing? Is it all text weight? Is any of it time sensitive or can you afford to be down for a day or two?

It will be text weight in the main - there will be some heavier weights for postcards, however that is not the intended use of the machine.

Being down for a day or two could definitely become a problem - I'm taking on print jobs that would normally be done outside the company and on a rush basis, so I have to handle it accordingly.

In further analysis, taking the projected March volume, I am coming up with 1.2mil, so that's probably not going to work. Although the clear-dry ink was definitely a plus for us.

We're reviewing space plans and environmental for the iGen - is there any resource to calculate estimated electrical bill increases?

686Shred -

I have the customer installation planning guide from xerox for an Igen4 if you would like to PM me your e-mail I can send it to you. It has the power consumption also.

We are currently running the xerox 800 and averaging about 130,000 images per month and have had nothing but problems. The main issues are especially with the duplexing and jamming. This is well below the xerox advertised 300,000 images per month, but we still have problems on a consistent basis. We run mostly text weight stock, but do run postcards on 100lb cover max. For the past six months we have been unable to duplex any weight cardstock without constantly jamming and are forced to run one side at a time. Is there anyone else having these kinds of problems with their 800/1000?

Geoprinter - Sounds like you have a dirty fuser or cooling belt. I will PM you my contact info if you want to give me a call and we can discuss. We were having similar issues until recently when we found out the causes.

Can you fit 2 Xerox 800? I think cost (machine price, electrical work, environment requirements, etc) will be less than getting 1 iGen.

Just my 2 cents.

JRT

For the past six months we have been unable to duplex any weight cardstock without constantly jamming and are forced to run one side at a time. Is there anyone else having these kinds of problems with their 800/1000?

What has Xerox's service said or done about this? I know if we were experiencing this with our 5000s we would have had them out here every day, but by this time they'd have replaced every relevant part. Is this type of paper fairly uncommon for you?

Can you fit 2 Xerox 800? I think cost (machine price, electrical work, environment requirements, etc) will be less than getting 1 iGen.

Just my 2 cents.

JRT

I would have to agree with JRT. It would make a lot of sense for having the two machines. Also, Xerox or Fuji will give you a much better price for two machines and will probably give you a better click charge.

Yes, dont forget, you will be able to have 1 workflow, same set of supplies, and able to split a job and color match on both machines at the same time. Xerox can offer you a great deal on price and clicks.

JRT

Same issues and more on the Xerox 1000

Same issues and more on the Xerox 1000

We are currently running the xerox 800 and averaging about 130,000 images per month and have had nothing but problems. The main issues are especially with the duplexing and jamming. This is well below the xerox advertised 300,000 images per month, but we still have problems on a consistent basis. We run mostly text weight stock, but do run postcards on 100lb cover max. For the past six months we have been unable to duplex any weight cardstock without constantly jamming and are forced to run one side at a time. Is there anyone else having these kinds of problems with their 800/1000?

We are currently experiencing the same issues and more with similar images per month. In addition to the jamming we have had inconsistencies with color, registration, and belt issues causing a lot of down time. I do know you have to really play with the gsm factors and to make sure the grain direction is short grain on any cover weights. I am curious also have they reloaded the software on your machine? It took Xerox 4 times to reload software on our machine and it is still not right. It has become extremely painful over the last eight months with all the issues combined. We were one of the first installs in our area over a year ago. We have switched papers sevearl times and don't go for the cheapest stock, but one that seemed to be performing. I too would like to know if others out there in the print for pay market are experiencing issues?

Just my 2 cents.

JRT

Since them I've looked at the cost of 2 800's extensively and Xerox has given us offers on various configurations - For my particular use, about 75% of the work is finished 8.5x11 and 8.5x14 pieces. The thing I'm seeing is that with the iGen EXP (which is what we are currently being offered) the long-term savings with the 26" is major - nearly $400k per year if you straight compare the offer of 2 800s vs. iGen (3-up both 8x5 and 8.5x14).

Of course, Xerox has offered an 800 along with the iGen - the price is pretty good for it also.

It really only depends, for our particular case (as its in-house and thus fairly predictable job types and usage) on the pricing, so I'm heavily leaning towards the iGen. PLus the offer with the 800 makes it such that at worst it is only slightly above break-even (discounts on the 12x18 click-charge for the 800, making it more profitable to run this size on it rather than the iGen).

Our electrical contractor will come in sometime next week so I can get an exact quote on the electrical set-ups and then the future power consumption.

But can anyone throw a figure down as to what one can expect a monthly power bill to be, running an iGen 14-16 hours per day?

For electric I dug up my finding when we looked at the iGen and found it to be about 5-6k a month. iGen and 800 might be overkill. May want to look at a 770 as your backup to the iGen if it will fit your needs.

re: clear option. Are you able to charge a premium for its usage? It is a very expensive option, installed and running cost for the consumable that is not covered under service agreement. IMO the effect of the clear did not seem worth the cost. I know there are better scenarios than others for it's use, but are you able to cover those costs and sell it's usage? How often are you going through the clear canisters? Appreciate your feedback.
We ran our 700 four times what the CED said was the AMV and Xerox stood behind it 100%. We now have an 800 and we're averaging over the 300k and barely making a dent in the useage. If you run higher volumes you have to expect more service calls, but that's with any digital press. We did a cost analysis and it showed after 550k it was less expensive to go with the Igen, but you have to consider the space, electrical and environmental set-up and amoritize those costs also. We needed the Clear Option because a big percent of our business is ad agency/designer work.

if it's not out of the question, go with the iGen. the volume you speak of will be a nightmare on an 800 (or 2 for that matter).
we run well below the 300k threshold per month and have dealt with problems (dirty fuser, jams, miscommunication with freeflow)

My view on the 800/1000 platform.. If you have an extra $6K a month and a volume band of between 0 and 100,000 prints you need delivered with a loss rate of over 10% and several days late all while paying more for the click, electricity, insurance, and space... It is the perfect platform. (BTW, I am not a Xerox hater, I feel I am qualified to say that as I was the first Xerox 1000 to be REFUNDED due to NUMEROUS failures to meed the CED, including on the beloved Xerox 24# LTR Paper!) I have Xerox 8080's now and have been quite pleased.

We have been riding out a lot of the initial issues and the have since surpassed. I haven't had a service call on my 800 in 2 months. I run anything from NCR to 130# cover in all sizes, I normally run 250k clicks a month (8.5x11 clicks although we normally run on large sheets). At first we were having a lot of issues, 1 a day at times - my machine was out of service for over 2 weeks at one point. We had to get through a lot of crap to get to where we are now on our 800 and things are pretty good as I speak. But that is also the risk you take when you adopt new technology, we were one of the first orders for the 800 so we knew what we were getting into. They have since replaced a lot of parts that were causing the issues we first were seeing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back