Xerox DC12 server SLOOOOOW!!?? Help Please!

kristianeyman

hello all!

i wanted to see if anyone can help me out with my 2 dc 12's. they are both running, but seem to take a very long time to process the information when sent in tabloide. if the file is bigger than 100mb, i have seen it take up to 25 minutes for a 500mb file to print. currently there is only 256mb ram installed on the server (rip) i was thinking to upgrade to 512, but will this really make a diffrence or am i looking in the wrong place? thanks, kristian.:eek:

craig, thanks for the advice on resetting the server. done, but still takes quite a bit of time? is this indicative of their rip or just this machine? i remember them being a bit faster?

What kind of RIP have your DC's?
I've used to change a CPU and added some RAM at X12e some time ago.
It made jobs processing faster, but there were some limitations on RAM amount you can install as well as maximum CPU clock speed.
I also had to work with a G640 Splash. This one could be installed in a G5 Macintosh and job processing speed is quite impressive for such an old machine.
As far as I know, it is hard to add RAM or change CPU or HDD in all Fiery's for the DC12

Adding more RAM will help - a bit. Depends a lot on the type of file - is it several big pages or lots of smaller pages (referring to graphic intensive ie a graphic intensive page will be big in size).
There is also a setting to print forward or reverse page order - if set to reverse the whole job has to rip before any pages print. If forward then each page will print when finished ripping.
Have to agree with Shurup with regard to Splash RIPs - they are fast and they do excellent color management as well as handle things like transparency a whole heap better than many newer RIPs. The later Splash RIPs (RPXiii - not for DC12) are still one of the fastest RIPs that Xerox sell - haven't tested my test file on a Color 1000 FreeFlow RIP yet, but I suspect that the Splash will still be faster

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back