Xerox v80/180 color tuning?

YourCastle

I’m trying to find a way to print both quality full coverage -and- good photos.

When I set Adjust Image Transfer I find that a higher voltage (volts, yeah?) of 120% produces a better full coverage (uncoated cover). Our company has a purple that is about 260% total ‘ink’. When we flood a large area of the purple, something less than 120% produces a blotchy, inconsistent coverage, but photos are very speckled (some call it “snow”?). Photos look like garbage, but flood is nice.

When I set the transfer to 80%, the photos look great, but the flood is very blotchy.

At 100%, it’s just a compromise and neither look great.

I was wondering if there is another variable I can adjust?

I tried to do less voltage (80%) and max density, but that did nothing new.

Any suggestions on another setting I could try?

Thanks!
steve

I would do this with a custom paper setting for the stock I was using. First run the density uniformity to make sure your uniform from one side of the sheet to the other. Then select the adjust image transfer setting withing your custom paper settings. Best to do the auto first, print chart and put it on glass for scanning. Then print your file and see if you have any improvement.

I would do this with a custom paper setting for the stock I was using. First run the density uniformity to make sure your uniform from one side of the sheet to the other. Then select the adjust image transfer setting withing your custom paper settings. Best to do the auto first, print chart and put it on glass for scanning. Then print your file and see if you have any improvement.
thanks!

I haven't had a chance to review this, but will

Thank you for the suggestion of running the density uniformity, but nothing changed. Still blotchy.

Next time I have a need for a service call, I'll add this to it as I have a "solution" for now.

What kind of paper are you running? I run into this when I start printing on card stock at or above 250gsm. Can you replicate the problem on other stocks?

If so, have you tried swapping drums? You likely have but drums can start giving bad coverage without being fully dead. I like to test this by swapping drums. If my problem is in magenta, I'll swap magenta and yellow drums to see if that makes a difference.

Finally, the other thing to try is getting a tech to replace your bias transfer roller, though they'll try and blame humidity before replacing it. Is your humidity >40%?

What kind of paper are you running? I run into this when I start printing on card stock at or above 250gsm. Can you replicate the problem on other stocks?

If so, have you tried swapping drums? You likely have but drums can start giving bad coverage without being fully dead. I like to test this by swapping drums. If my problem is in magenta, I'll swap magenta and yellow drums to see if that makes a difference.

Finally, the other thing to try is getting a tech to replace your bias transfer roller, though they'll try and blame humidity before replacing it. Is your humidity >40%?

paper is uncoated 216gsm. I haven't tried swapping drums yet as the coverage on my 350gsm paper i use for business cards comes out nice. However, my 130# is coated, so that might be the difference. I'll swap drums and see the result. thanks!

Techs do blame humidity, but in this case, my office barely gets above 10% with my humidifier. It's so dry here in Denver Colorado and my small office with two digital presses even more so. I just joined my company, so I'll see what humidity does going into summer. I'll probably have to requisition a much better humidifier for next winter.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll swap drums now...

Reactions: DYP
thqh the drum thing is grasping at straws, I'd give it a 5% chance it'll help lol.

I think the BTR is generally the culprit with this kind of thing if no Density Uniformity Adjustment makes things better.

216gsm uncoated is only a 80# cover and you should have no problem getting great coverage on a stock like that. Unless it’s some kind of heavy textured stock you would be able to get a good transfer by running the image transfer adjustment. If you can’t then you need to get a tech in and don’t let them leave until you see good solids and fine detail. The Versant line has no problem doing this kind of work all day.

paper is uncoated 216gsm. I haven't tried swapping drums yet as the coverage on my 350gsm paper i use for business cards comes out nice. However, my 130# is coated, so that might be the difference. I'll swap drums and see the result. thanks!

Techs do blame humidity, but in this case, my office barely gets above 10% with my humidifier. It's so dry here in Denver Colorado and my small office with two digital presses even more so. I just joined my company, so I'll see what humidity does going into summer. I'll probably have to requisition a much better humidifier for next winter.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll swap drums now...
Low humidity most likely your problem right there.

Low humidity most likely your problem right there.
Constant battle. Last place i worked spent a lot of money on humidity only to be told that was only part of the problem and we needed to spend $7k to bring in an expert to do g7 calibration only to be told that we're getting closer!

I acknowledge humidity, but it seems like the engineers are always blaming something else. The techs try to help but get handcuffed by higher ups

Constant battle. Last place i worked spent a lot of money on humidity only to be told that was only part of the problem and we needed to spend $7k to bring in an expert to do g7 calibration only to be told that we're getting closer!

I acknowledge humidity, but it seems like the engineers are always blaming something else. The techs try to help but get handcuffed by higher ups
g7 caibration is built into Fiery Color Profiler and it will walk you through the process. $7k expert you got to be kidding.

g7 caibration is built into Fiery Color Profiler and it will walk you through the process. $7k expert you got to be kidding.
I'm aware of that, now. My boss had me sit in with the expert and i don't think the value wss there

I'm aware of that, now. My boss had me sit in with the expert and i don't think the value wss there
there are free training videos on EFI youtube channel. and G7 calibrate can improve the color accuracy, but won't fix the actual printer image transfer problem. if changing the 2nd transfer voltage won't fix the problem, you might just need to change another paper brand, I had a similar problem with the veritive startbrite uncoated cover, but no issue on Domtar cougar uncoated cover.

there are free training videos on EFI youtube channel. and G7 calibrate can improve the color accuracy,
I've since become very knowledgable about g7 and don't like. It didn't solve the problem at the time. I wasted so much time on it. And none of our clients even cared, not even the supposed high end agency we worked for

I've tried several uncoated papers and none are great. I'm going to try to convince my boss to go with matte instead

I've tried several uncoated papers and none are great. I'm going to try to convince my boss to go with matte instead
Hammermill color copy cover has a very smooth finish and it’s uncoated. I recently bought a few cases because it was the only option in stock. I ran the 13x19 100# cover and it ran very well on the V280. Maybe worth a try if you can get any.

Like others have said, it does sound like a image transfer problem.

When I have this kind of problem, I run the sheet through my V80 twice. I heat up the paper by running the sheets with a blank image and then running it again straight away with the image on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back