Xerox Versant180 Color Darkening

ReproElectroProspero

I'm running into an odd issue with a customer that is being very specific about her shade of yellow. When we run this color on the Versant 180, it always comes out as a golden yellow instead of a strict yellow. An example of the output:

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 12.43.41 PM.png

The yellow on the left is what the file prints like on our HP M750 office printer, and is closer to what the customer wants. The yellow on the right is what the Versant180 puts out.

I'm running Freeflow Printserver with the Versant, and no matter WHAT I do - it comes out that golden way. I've tried:
  • Running color calibration in the admin menu of the printer itself
  • Changing color management settings in FFPS (embedded profiles, color spaces, rendering intents, image resampling, image enhancement, etc)
  • Submitting different file formats using this color (pdf/jpg/tiff)
  • Printing as image through the PDF
  • Changing "Color Matching" in the print driver from "ColorSync" to "In printer"
NONE of this has changed the output from this golden shade more than a hair.

Any idea what I should look into next?

An interesting thing I noticed is when I made the scan to show you guys the color difference, I ran a copy to see what it would look like. The copy came out with both of the samples having the exact same shade of (non golden) yellow. I have no idea what's going on.

Thanks, PricelineNegotiator. That's likely what I'll have to do. I was just hoping there was something I could adjust in the global settings so I won't have to do that with every file this client submits.

On further inspection, I took a look at their file and saw the yellow is set to C-0 M-10 Y-100 K-0. I busted out my trusty Pantone to CMYK color bridge and guess what? The Versant is spitting something out that is very close to the intended output for that color. I was chasing my own tail. I need to train the customer to take the magenta out of their yellow if they don't want it to be gold-tinted.

I've been working in CMYK printing for more than 10 years but still sometimes make these rookie mistakes. Sigh.

Thanks, PricelineNegotiator. That's likely what I'll have to do. I was just hoping there was something I could adjust in the global settings so I won't have to do that with every file this client submits.

On further inspection, I took a look at their file and saw the yellow is set to C-0 M-10 Y-100 K-0. I busted out my trusty Pantone to CMYK color bridge and guess what? The Versant is spitting something out that is very close to the intended output for that color. I was chasing my own tail. I need to train the customer to take the magenta out of their yellow if they don't want it to be gold-tinted.

I've been working in CMYK printing for more than 10 years but still sometimes make these rookie mistakes. Sigh.
I've never adjusted anything in global settings before. Sorry.

Let us know how it goes.

Customer says: But you've printed this in the past and it was the correct yellow!
*pulls PDF of previous orders, inspects*: radically different CMYK value.

My first mistake was trusting the customer's claim without verifying. My second mistake was not immediately checking the hardcoded color values. My third mistake was asking for help before I did those things.

I would argue you made no mistakes at all.
You are working in a position which REQUIRES that you deconstruct the actions and results of persons and programs that are unknown to you.
This is commonly referred to as "Prepress".
You are now more knowledgable about the possible issues introduced by those unknown-unknowns.
You also acted correctly in posting to this forum for advice.
Not seeking assistance would be a mistake.
Not deciphering the issue would be a mistake.
Not learning from the example would be a mistake.

Now as to the COST of the learning process there can be consequences both for your organization and your customer.

As to this specific example - we keep a regularly updated and posted at workstations "Customer Color" spreadsheet with columns for cmyk breakdowns of spots, etc.
We try to keep the information included to a minimum but this gives a reference that short circuits exactly this issue.
YMMV

Customer says: But you've printed this in the past and it was the correct yellow!
*pulls PDF of previous orders, inspects*: radically different CMYK value.

My first mistake was trusting the customer's claim without verifying. My second mistake was not immediately checking the hardcoded color values. My third mistake was asking for
help before I did those things.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back