Your-best-employees-work-for-love-not-money

Lol Bain & Company. The people who make a living out of "downsizing".
Your best people work for love and fairy dust! Nobody wants to feed their families or ever take a vacation!

while I appreciate the sentiments, and opinions of what this posting company's objectives are, the article makes some REALLY good points.

I have worked in retail for a long time as a part timer, and full time in the print industry for over 15 years. In the print industry, at least in my area, the companies that do the best aren't necessarily the ones that "pay" the best. The shop I work for is owned by someone who sees every employee as family, and every employee cares about the company, the jobs, and the quality of the work we produce. The ones who don't fit the company dynamic don't last long. it's too high-stress to if you can't lean on the company family. we are also one of the few print companies in our area that are growing continuously.

but that said, having worked for big corporate retail, which is part of what this article is directed at more so than print...
the article is addressing that monetary incentives to improve sales can be more negative than positive if not put into place properly. I worked at Sears over the holiday season a few years ago when they were doing a "gift card incentive". it was ranked by store total and individual total. We had employees and even dept and store managers buying bunches of gift cards to get our numbers up. It really wasn't doing anything to help save the store (which was closed the following spring) by bringing more customers in, but it did help pad the employees pockets.

so... long story short valid article, even if it is from a questionable source. if you read the whole thing, they aren't saying anything about NOT using monetary incentives, but to make sure that they are implemented correctly so that they actually benefit your company. IMHO... it's a HORRIBLE article title...

This reminded me about a German man about whom i was reading in NEWS few days ago. He said that a man can work more productively, efficiently and come up with innovative ideas if we free him from the worry of earning bread n butter. so he decided to give people some amount absolutely free so that those people can work without worrying about earning bread and butter.

At the same time we can never deny importance of money as a motivator. There is a theory in HR that says that it is not money that motivates employees, it is the absence of money that motivates him. iIt may implies that if he has less money, he will work hard to get more of it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back