Z6100 + Onyx -- Prints Always Come Out Short

ecigraphicuser

I am printing to a HP Z6100 with an Onyx RIP using Océ 4mil and 5mil white films and our prints are always coming out shorter than the actual file size. The larger the print the more it's off. A 5' print usually comes up .25" to .375" short and a 10'+ always comes out at least an inch short. We've had HP Technicians out on more than one occasion and they've never successfully diagnosed the problem...

I'm thinking this Isn't a RIP problem only because we use Onyx to drive our HP5500s and those never have problems.

I've tried prints with and without tension as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

I'm not HP Serviceman, but it seems to me: there is wrong pulses calculation of paper feed motor encoder and some correction coefficient/factor should be changed...and the method/technique how to to that explained in User or Service manual.

There is a known issue with onyx and the z6100 print length.
I have no idea if it was ever solved but i would call Onyx. They have not been the best in supporting any of the user issues over the years but its worth a go.

Known Issue & Workaround - HP z6100 Banding / Printer Lock Up / Print Length Issues -
Jul 15, '08, 12:57 PM
ONYX Services has become aware of an issue regarding the HP DesignJet z6100 with firmware 6 or greater. The following article was added to the ONYX Knowledge Base: Known Issue & Workaround - HP z6100 Banding / Print Lock Up / Length Issues July 2008 Update: This issue is being worked actively with HP and customers who encounter this issue should contact their HP Representative.

There is an problem with 3rd party medias and that printer. It's what VladCanada said. That the printer will control the feed adjustment based on what media you are telling the printer it has. As a result media may slip or spit out too fast. This was verified without the Onyx Rip.

the stragest thing i have the same problem. The printer printes too short.. I cannot find what the problem is. I print direct to the printer without any 3rd party rip software

An answer?

An answer?

This is a printer issues and on HP printers you need to go to paper settings and switch to 'extended' borders ~ the default is 'normal' this will then allow most media to print within the HP printer tolerance of 2mm.

Add bleed to your print. This is a problem with alot of other print industries as well its caused by different issues usually because of the stock or the rip.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back