How do they do it?

tgrec441

I've been in this business for 25 years, and until now, it has never dawned on me to ask this question:
How and where are Pantone books printed? I would love to get a glimpse into their workflow to see how they keep so many colors perfectly consistent.

How and where are Pantone books printed? I would love to get a glimpse into their workflow to see how they keep so many colors perfectly consistent.

They're printed on on custom built waterless offset press located in their head offices in Carlstadt, NJ. The press uses split ink trains, or slots, so that they can print so many colors at once.

You can see a video of the process here: PTV - PTV Video Clips

best, gordo

They're printed on on custom built waterless offset press located in their head offices in Carlstadt, NJ. The press uses split ink trains, or slots, so that they can print so many colors at once.

You can see a video of the process here: PTV - PTV Video Clips

best, gordo

Gordon,

Is it waterless offset or dry offset with raised plate surfaces?

I must be starting to forget my technical jargon but wouldn't "dry offset with raised plate surfaces" be equivalent to letterpress or flexo?

I must be starting to forget my technical jargon but wouldn't "dry offset with raised plate surfaces" be equivalent to letterpress or flexo?

Often terms are mixed but this is how I learned it.

Waterless offset uses a non raised plate. No water. Ink is not accepted in the non image area by a silicone surface but maybe could be another material. The point is that it is not a raised plate. The image goes from the plate to the blanket and then to the paper. That is the offset part.

Dry offset (no water) uses a raised image surface on the plate (use to be metal and now often polymer) and the image is transferred to the blanket and then the paper. Dry offset usually is fed with a more conventional roller train and ink fountain.

Flexo has a raised image on the plate ( usually rubber but now also polymer plate) but the image from the plate goes directly to the paper or substrate. No offsetting here.
The flexo plate now is normally inked by an anilox roller but in the past it was inked by form rollers and had a roller train and ink fountain.

Letter press has a raised image on the plate and prints directly to the substrate.

Offset lithography of course uses water based fluid to keep the non image area of the flat plate free of ink. Printing to the blanket and then paper gives it the offset term.

Offset lithography can also be fed with ink from an anilox roller, such as in the Anicolor press instead of the traditional roller train. The waterless version of that would be like the Karat or Genius press.

One could have lithography without the offset where the image is printed right from the plate to the substrate. Not sure if there is a special term for this.

And there can be combinations where a flexo or letter press is offset with a blanket before printing onto the paper.

I would say that the older version of flexo and letter press is very similar but with letter press one can get an added effect with a deeper impression from the metal plate at higher pressures.

Then there is also common blanket presses for offset and common impression cylinders and blanket to blanket versions.

I would suggest that it could be better if people did not think of printing processes as being done with fixed technical concepts of how the technology should work. Think in a more general way. All printing processes aim to put a specific amount of ink in a specific location. Thinking about how to do that in the best way can lead to advancements in printing.

I love the ink fountain in that video. The real salute, though, should go to that bindery line. Sheesh! That's a lot of responsibility to collate!

I take it I'm not the only one who's noticed a swatch from a brand new PANTONE book can be dE 8 away from its specified Lab value?

ASFAIK Pantone still does not provide Lab values as the color target. The color is based on its recipe and base inks rather than a Lab value.

Best gordo

ASFAIK Pantone still does not provide Lab values as the color target. The color is based on its recipe and base inks rather than a Lab value.

Best gordo

And there can be some variation in colour from one edition to another. It is not always so consistent.

It's true the values are not provided with the books, but they are supplied to software vendors to make color management possible.

Source: PANTONE colors don't match in Illustrator and Photoshop. The article mentions the definitions were given to Adobe by PANTONE.

The Pantone+ libraries for Adobe apps that can be downloaded directly from Pantone come with corresponding CMYK and LAB values. Pantone is of course more interested in keeping their system LAB agnostic so that they can keep selling books with "Pantone 485" instead of everyone universally targeting the generic LAB coordinate of 49,67,53.

Imagine if medicine worked this way. We'd all be stuck buying Bayer Aspirin instead of acetylsalicylic acid.

Gentlemen,

In my opinion the KBA press printing Pantone Colour Swatch Books are using Dycril Relief Plates (Dry Offset)

Regards, Alois

It's true the values are not provided with the books, but they are supplied to software vendors to make color management possible.

Correct, however, if you are using the Lab value to see how far off the printed swatch is then you are not using the Lab values as Pantone intends to be used.
Like I said, there's is a recipe-based system not a Lab based system.

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back