Platen Numbering

Derak

How do I block out the "No." on my numbering machines when numbering on the Platen? I've seen it done with an arm attached somewhere with a piece of mylar taped to it.....any tips?

Yeah . . . thats a Gripper Bar and you adjust it so it misses the numbering machine and then tape the mylar so it covers the No. symbol . . but if your numbering assembled NCR sets it will show up on the bottom sheets - nothing to it

I used to do this a lot in the '70s before mylar makereadies were usual.

We would use a piece of index stock pasted or taped to the gripper finger, and we'd add a strip of Scotch tape on the underside of the index to stop ink bleed-through.

If it was carbonless sets, we'd tape a 36 pt 1/2pt copper space on the under side of the index and make ready by cutting out a compensating hole in the packing (in about 3 sheets of 80# gloss book) under the draw sheet.

You should be able to reduce the packing in the plunger/copper-space area enough that there will "maybe" at most be a halo on bottom sheets from where the copper space hits the paper. And the numbering wheels will still turn.

This is known as a frisket mask.

Last edited:
I used to do this a lot in the '70s before mylar makereadies were usual.

We would use a piece of index stock pasted or taped to the gripper finger, and we'd add a strip of Scotch tape on the underside of the index to stop ink bleed-through.

If it was carbonless sets, we'd tape a 36 pt 1/2pt copper space on the under side of the index and make ready by cutting out a compensating hole in the packing (in about 3 sheets of 80# gloss book) under the draw sheet.

You should be able to reduce the packing in the plunger/copper-space area enough that there will "maybe" at most be a halo on bottom sheets from where the copper space hits the paper. And the numbering wheels will still turn.

This is known as a frisket mask.

:):):) Old School . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back