Adobe Reader 9 Standard.

cglaros

Anyone has idea how I can open damaged Pdf Files?
I have an issue with trying to open old PDF files in Adobe Reader 9 Standard.
The files were created in 2000 and they need to be retrieved to be put on a server.
The files are on cds
I tried saving them on the desktop and opening from there and we still received the Insufficient Data for an Image
I downloaded older versions of Adobe and in all of them i either couldn't open it or received the cyclic redundancy error

Bad media, can't get the data off. Acrobat can't fix that. How scratched up are the CD's? You ***may*** be able to have a service recover the data.

Hello Cglaros,

You might want to look at this:

Corrupt CD/DVD Recovery by Vic F

The error received when trying to copy the file was a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) error.
In fact, this is the most common error encountered with cd/dvd access or copying problems
and I knew that such a problem was often caused by a dirty or scratched disc.

Corrupt CD/DVD Recovery by Vic Ferri, Per Contra Tech

The article explains how to recover your data by cleaning your CD with a cloth.

If that fails get a professional to recover the data. I seem to remember that in the year 2000, there were all kinds of alternative CD burner apps that allowed you to use a CD as a virtual hard drive. I think they left the "CD Session" open until the disc was full. Your data might all be there but not in a "regular" CD format.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
This doesn't fix OP's problem but if you're going through the effort of creating DVD backups, always make two. I can't emphasize enough how many times we've had to resort to going to DVD 2 to pull old files because of corruption or scuffs/scratches on the reading surface.

Must try opening on different system
Plus
Try copy & paste on different location on ur system eg. C: drive or my document.
check the attributes , hope its not on 'Read only'.

Are all PDF files on that CD giving problem?
&

-> You can use the PDF optimizer to change the pdf to that of an earlier version to see if the problem goes away.

Also u can try these instructions:

Instructions
1. Remove the PDF file that was corrupted by sending it to the recycle bin then empty the recycle bin. Download the PDF file again from the original source. While the Acrobat is downloading the file, limit your computer usage, this will only take a few minutes so just walk away from the computer momentarily. Open the new PDF file once the download has completed.

2. Remove your Adobe Acrobat Reader program. Click "Start" and select "Control panel." When the control panel opens find "Adobe Acrobat Reader" click on the program then select "Uninstall." Allow the program to complete the entire uninstall process.

3. Reboot your computer by clicking the "Start" then select "Restart." When the computer is finished rebooting reinstall the "Adobe Acrobat Reader" from Adobe: Creative, marketing, and document management solutions. Download the latest version of the "Acrobat" for your computer's operating system. This will take a few minutes to complete the reinstall.

4. Download the PDF file again by visiting the website that you obtained the corrupted PDF file from. The file should be able to open correctly, but if you are still getting a corrupted file, proceed to the next step.

5. Download a Recovery Toolbox for PDF program from the resource section and install on your computer. Follow the instructions given to recover the corrupted PDF file.
Link: https://www.fixtoolbox.com/pdffix.html

Can you place the PDFs into InDesign or Illustrator and re-output? If nothing else, export or save to an EPS and re-distill. I've been able to place lots of PDFs I couldn't open with my version of Acrobat.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back