Acrobat and Flightcheck

semi-tech

Hello,

Working with the latest Flightcheck and there's an issue with opening PDFs. When a PDF is flightchecked, it's supposed to open automatically in Acrobat. But I get an error message that Acrobat can't open the PDF because it can't find it (it's on the desktop). I took this up with Markzware, who couldn't duplicate the issue; PDFs opened fine for them. They suggested I contact Adobe, which didn't get me anywhere, so I thought I'd run it by Print Planet. I've attached a screen shot of the message. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• screen shot.pdf
    350.7 KB · Views: 155
I doubt this will work but it's worth a try:

In Acrobat, go to Preferences > Security (Enhanced). If enabled, try disabling Enhanced Security, close Acrobat, and see if Acrobat will open the PDF through FlightCheck now.

Best regards,
pd

One other thing to try would be to temporarily disable any Anti-Malware software you might have installed. It could be interfering with this.

Tried the first option; no success unfortunately. Flightcheck still generates the usual report and folder, though. I tried this also with Acrobat closed; Acrobat wouldn't open. Oh, well. It's only an extra click or two, but the PDF should open automatically. As for anti-malware software, none is installed locally. Our IT people have antivirus running on all PCs; don't know about Macs, but I see none in the Applications folder.

Do you get the error if the PDF you are FlightCheck'ing isn't on the desktop but maybe in a folder somewhere?

Oh, one more idea before uninstalling/reinstalling. Try creating a test macOS user account, login to that account, FlightCheck a PDF and see if Acrobat opens.

Argh. I'd be willing to try re-installing Acrobat as a last resort (which would mean having to re-install PitStop as well). I'm not sure if I can set up a test user account, because this is a government agency and the licensing was purchased by IT (who set up specific corporate accounts for the software for each user). I'll confer with the IT Mac guy and see what he says. Meantime, I'll look up that AcroCleaner and have it standing by, just in case. Thanks.

Haven't got a solution, but have an acceptable work-around. I tried using FlightCheck on an InDesign file, and the same Acrobat error message came up. Yikes! So I went into FlightCheck's Preferences and, under "Automation," turned off the "Open File In" feature (which was set for Acrobat). Then, flightchecking another PDF, I clicked the "Open" icon in the upper right dock, and the PDF opens; same thing with ID files. Perhaps 95% of the files that get preflighted will be PDFs, but I think this new setup will do fine. As a test, I also set FlightCheck's Preferences for InDesign, and tried an ID file. It opened ID, but not the file. So the "Open File In" feature will stay off. May still play with Preferences as I have time, but for now this is good.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back